1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Bearing Failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by anymouse, Jul 13, 2009.

1. anymouse

anymouse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi Everyone,
    I have been lurking here for sometime reading all of the excellent tips and advice.

A while ago I noticed a noise and vibration from the front wheels at highway speed on my 06. I have GoodYear TT's so took it to the tire dealer nearby and was told that all the tires were shot and the left front wheel bearing needed replaced along with a complete alignment.

I took the car to the Toyota dealer and to make a long story short the bearing was replaced under warrantee. I have a little over 99,000 KM on the car.

The problem is that the noise and vibration is still there so I took the car to the GoodYear dealer where I bought the tires and they rotated and re-ballanced all 4 tires. The noise is stil there although not as bad as before.

I'm taking the car back to Toyota tomorrow to check the other side bearing, (right)

Do any of you have any other suggestions? Your help is much appreciated.

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Geez. Probably the least bad thing is that another bearing needs replacing, but then why didn't the dealer catch it the first time?

Are you the only owner/user? Has it been off road or had any curb or pothole encounters? How about regular CV boot inspections?

3. PriusF1

PriusF1 New Member

I just replaced both front wheel bearings on my 2007. I have just shy of 80,000 miles on the car. Did not have any vibration but did have noise at any speed above 20 mph.