1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Bearing Help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by trevor0323, Nov 3, 2011.

1. trevor0323

trevor0323 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just replaced my front left wheel bearing. First of all there are a few steps not mentioned that may be helpful.

1. You do not need a thin wall 14mm socket to get the 4 bolts from the back end off. Just release the center not and slide the dust cover off the rear with a thick flathead (It takes a bit of patience and movement of the dust cover but is easier then trying to find a thin wall 14mm socket.)

2. Be sure to align the rear metal dusk cover with the hole portion facing the speed sensor.

Now my question, I did not do step 2 and already have the thing back together. Instead of breaking it down again I drilled what I thought was a comparable hole in the metal cover as to have the speed sensor be able to get through. Before I did this I was getting (!) VSC and ABS warnings on the dash. After I drilled the hole I then pulled the neg on the 12v battery to clear the code. This did not work for some reason so I cleared the codes by jumping pins 4+13 in the OBD2 slot. Now it works fine arround town with no trouble lights, but when I get going arround 55mph for a few minutes all the lights turn on again. Then when I slow down and get back to city driving they turn off.

My assumption is that my hole may indeed not be as big as the original and is losing the speed sensor at higher speed. I guess I will take it apart again tomorrow and spin it around back to the orginal hole. Any other ideas or thoughts would be appreciated.