1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel bearing swap, Gen 3 to V, is IT possible?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by RacingSystems, Aug 1, 2020.

1. RacingSystems

RacingSystems Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello, we have the problem in Germany that you can only install rims with a report, unfortunately the selection of rims with a bolt circle of 5x100 is very small. That's why I now have the idea of installing the Prius V (5x114.3) wheel bearings on the Prius Gen 3. Has anyone ever done that, do the wheel bearings fit?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What do you mean by "report." I think it's a typo or lost in translation issue? This makes no sense, please clarify what you mean when you say: "...problem in Germany that you can only install rims with a report."

3. RacingSystems

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Report is a document with details of the rim. In Germany, the rims have to be tested, which means that the rims have to pass certain tests, including when they break and how they break. There are several complicated tests by the German TÜV.

As a result, Rotiform has only been available in Germany since last year, 3sdm, Volk Racing and others do not exist with us and if there are any, only for a lot of money because the people who sell them paid for the tests themselves. The manufacturers normally have these tests done, but these are mostly manufacturers that are based in Europe.

Germany is very complicated. If you buy rims with a report, you must then go to the TÜV, which checks the conversion and only if he gives the OK, the rims can be entered in the vehicle documents. As soon as the rims are registered, I can officially move the car. If I don't let that happen and the police stop me and the rims are not approved (no report) and are registered, the car will be decommissioned and only if everything is dismantled or if it is feasible can I drive the car again.

Posted via the Touch & Go Plus

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow... Talking about reinventing the wheel... If I were you I'd get some calipers and head to an autoparts store and measure the Gen 3 bearing and Prius V bearing and see if they match, and then measure the Prius v hub to see if it fits on Gen3 and then report back to this thread so that other people in the future with a similar idea can get a yes or no thanks to your effort.

5. Attila Fekete

Attila Fekete Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
  6. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  7. Attila Fekete

Attila Fekete Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    #7 Attila Fekete, Aug 2, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  8. RacingSystems

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @Georgina Rudkus Another number does not have to mean that it does not fit.

@Attila Fekete Yes, the adapters are legal in Germany (if they have a report). I do not want to use such adapters because the offset depth changes with it, so you quickly get to the point where the wheel grinds on the fender.

If nobody has done this before, I will buy defective wheel bearings from both and compare them.

9. Attila Fekete

Attila Fekete Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You may look for Avensis wheels also till 2005 except the diesel - if I’m not mistaken.
    They are the same size and even the ET will fit.
    Or even Prius gen 2 wheels - use the 16” ones on mine.