1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel bearing type noise but bearings are tight

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kearnshippy, Dec 30, 2020.

1. kearnshippy

kearnshippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I have an 07 Prius with 265k miles. The Prius has been a great car. Recently it's started making a wheel bearing type noise from the front end. I worked at a car inspection place several years ago so I jacked it up, checked the wheels and they're all tight.

Next, the front of the car went up on jack stands and we (husband and I) listened under the car and it seems the sound is coming from the transmission area. The tires were in the air, so it's not a tire noise.

However, as I'm driving and occasionally being the passenger, it seems like there's a significant sound from the passengers area. I'm not 100% sure on the origin of the noise.

I bought the car at just over 200k and had an engine put in. The drivers side cv axle was replaced in 2018 and passenger's bearing in 2016. Any help would be appreciated.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Curious if the WS AFT was ever drained and filled in this vehicle?

3. kearnshippy

kearnshippy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a great question. I've never had it serviced. I had assumed it was done with the engine replacement.

I'm wondering if maybe the transmission is dying. I haven't seen any decrease in gas mileage or acceleration. But the transmission would seem like it could be the cause of the noise.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Back when I had a front bearing going out, absolutely none of the common internet suggestions worked to pin down which bearing it was. Not temperature, not sound change turning right or left, not whether it felt 'tight' with the wheel jacked up, not any sound made with the wheel jacked up. Nothing solved the puzzle. It was a stumper.

A ChassisEar wireless audio system with four clamp-on pickups identified the failing bearing within about three seconds of being turned on.

SFO likes this.
  5. amartin

amartin Junior Member

Did you ever find the source and of this sound? Where you able to make a successful repair.

I have a 2006 in the same situation, except the Front wheel bearings were replaced about a year ago. I have verified it is definitely NOT any of the wheel bearings.

Any feedback would help! Cheers!

6. underdog

underdog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any luck sourcing the cause of this noise, I have a similar issue. Any feedback would help.