1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Calibration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by iuscogens, Apr 3, 2005.

1. iuscogens

iuscogens New Member

I have just installed the JDM 16" wheels on my Prius. I thought I had previously read in another posting (which I couldn't find again) that there is a way to set/calibrate the Prius to a different wheel size in the MFD. Does anyone know where this setting could be found?

2. starcross

starcross New Member

what size tires and rims did you get?

3. iuscogens

iuscogens New Member

Toyota oem JDM 16"x6 wheels with 195/55R16 tires. I had a tough time finding the tires (Dunlop SP5000 - same as Mini Cooper S oems).

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's a "plus 1" size so you don't have to recalibrate anything.

The OEM tire is 185 65R 15 with an OD of about 24.4 inches.

According to the Michelin site, the tire you put on also has an OD of 24.4.

Let us know how they work out for you.

Remember they're summer tires only. At the first hint of snow or ice, put the all-season tires or preferably winter tires on.

5. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I know in a Package #6 that it is in the Menu | Settings | first page - calibrate | tire size.

I'm not sure where that would be on other packages.

6. iuscogens

iuscogens New Member

jayman: Actually, I've got the Dunlop SP5000A DSST (forgot to mention that they are all-season asymmetrical run flats) - see:
    http://www.dunloptire.com/dunlop/display_t...rea=Performance
    I tried them out in stormy weather today, and they do certainly grip better in the rain and against cross-winds. I haven't been able to gauge the drop in gas mileage (if any), since my MPG always goes down in poor weather. I hope you are right that I don't have to calibrate the car for 16" wheels (although my mind would be more at ease if I could at least input it into the car).

engunneer: I have found that function in the MFD menu. However, when I push the "tire size", it bounces back to the map screen with some sort of message like "quick calibration" or something. That's all. I was not able to enter my wheel/tire size.

Is there any other way to input wheel/tire size? I've also tried the diagnostic screen but came up with nothing.

7. iuscogens

iuscogens New Member

Hey jayman: One more thing (since you are from Canada), the other alternative tire I had been considering was the Toyo Proxes T1R.
    http://www.toyocanada.com/products/ProxesT1R.html
    They are the only other decent tire in the 195/55R16 size. They are unfortunately, only available for retail sale in Canada. I was thinking about ordering them via internet vendor. Have you had any experience with this tire? All on-line opinions seem to indicate that this is a superior tire.

8. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    AFAIK, touching the tire size calibration in the menu and driving around for a bit should do it. If I get a chance, i'll look it up in the service manual, but I think it basically just tells the Prius to calibrate more quickly than normal. It is usually comparing rolling speed with GPS speed to figure out exact wheel size, even without calibration "activated". It just takes the new data over the old data when averaging results, quickly bringing it back up to snuff.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(iuscogens\";p=\"78264)</div>
    Sorry I have no experience with Toyo brand tires, though they seem to be getting popular around here.

I still don't think you have to worry about calibrating anything if the tire OD is the same. That's all the car sees is the OD of the tire, it could care less if you have a 14, 15, 16, or 20 inch rim.

My folks have a 2003 Buick LeSabre Celebration Edition that came with 16 inch aluminum rims. For winter I have them run Cooper WeatherMaster ST2 studded snow tires on 15 inch steel rims. The tire OD is the same so nothing has to be calibrated.

It was actually the Buick dealer that suggested this to me, as the 15 inch studded snow tires are far cheaper than the 16 inch ones.

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Calibration would only work for NAV, it would not adjust speedo or ODO. Therefore displayed MPG would also be inaccurate, though it would correlate with your calculated, since your miles for your calculated would also be off.

Of course, as others have said, if your outside diameter hasn't changed, there should be no change to any displays.

11. iuscogens

iuscogens New Member

I guess you guys are right. There really shouldn't be any significant changes that require recalibration. The overall (tire & wheel) diameter difference is about 0.5mm. Heck, my old tires had ten times that amount of wear to them!

After breaking in the new tires a bit, I have noticed about a 3-5 mpg deficiency. Is that on par with your results (for those who have changed your tire/wheel size)?

12. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

3-5 mpg deficiency is about what I have noticed as well

13. iuscogens

iuscogens New Member

What wheels and tires (brand/model & size) do you have on your Prius?