1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wheel cover scratch

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by draheim, May 10, 2010.

1. draheim

draheim Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Any hints on how to remove/reduce a slight scratch on the plastic wheel cover? I got a little too close to the curb parallel-parking and there's a little 2-inch crescent-shaped scratch on the plastic wheel cover (not the alloy wheel).

I'm thinking maybe a very fine abrasive like Barkeeper's Friend or Bon Ami might work, but I don't want to make it worse... Anyone who has any advice on things to try or (more importantly perhaps) what not to try, please let me know. I probably can't erase the scratch completely, but if I can mute it/blend it in somewhat it might look better. Thanks.

2. Judgeless

Judgeless Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toss the wheel covers. They are ugly. I get over 55 MPG with out them.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If it is still discolored after using a cleaner, a Prius classic silver metallic touch-up paint is a good match to blend it in further.

4. draheim

draheim Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm considering it (and agree that the alloy wheels look a lot better), but I may keep them on until I've mastered parallel parking in this new car. Would hate to scratch up those wheels. In my old Jetta I could squeeze into a space with literally 1 inch in front and 1 inch behind... so far I'm having trouble on the spatial reasoning in this new car, especially since you can't see any of the body from the driver's seat.

Also, debating whether to drop the $ on OEM hub caps... not too wild about the other solutions I have seen here, like some kind of 80 cent aluminum electrical cap from the hardware store...

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Since the cover is likely painted plastic, (and probably a dark colored plastic), any attempt at trying to blend it in with cleaners, etc. will likely make the situation worse.

As pointed out above, the color is probably a match with classic silver, so get a bottle of touch up paint from the dealer, and use a toothpick to apply a few light coats (not one thick coat).

6. ozarkgolfer

ozarkgolfer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    New ones on Ebay - prices are looking pretty cheap!

7. theloop82

theloop82 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey! Dont hate on the K.O. seal! how many miles of hypermiling would it take to reconcile the 60$ you save by not buying toyota center caps?

8. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The K.O. seal idea of yours is great. My Home Depot only had 3 of the bulk seals like yours. They did have a lot of individually packaged seals with a galvanized finish that are stamped 11/2 in the center. I did not like the way the galvanized finish looked on the wheel. I buffed them to a bright finish and they look great, the size marking can't be seen unless you are holding them in your hand. Thanks!

9. draheim

draheim Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Sorry... it's very innovative, I just didn't like the look on the photos I saw. I'm as frugal as the next guy but I just blew $25K on this car, I want it to look good. I don't hook up a wire coat hanger to my 46" flat screen and call it an HD antenna either... :)