1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel diameter -- I think I know the answer////

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by cyberpriusII, Apr 25, 2019.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, if I were to buy a Subaru...

And the car came with 225/60R18, but other Outbacks with a different trim come either with 17" or 18" diameter wheels, I am cool to buy a 17" wheel/tire package for dedicated snow tires, right?

Plan (?) is keeping the 18" wheels with the stock Bridgestone Duelers for spring/summer/fall??? Then switching to the cheaper (and more available) 17" for the winter with Blizzaks. I am becoming a bit paranoid on safety/traction.

Is that crazy talk (as brother says to me way too frequently).

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Should not be a issue, the tires are sized to result in the same overall diameter. The speedometer and odometer may end up off, but only by about 1% or less. They only issue is if the larger wheeled trim also includes larger brakes for example. The spare tire of the HHR wouldn't fit onto the front of the SS trim because of the brakes. I don't see this being an issue on the Outback though.

How much snow do you get? Snow tires plus AWD would be overkill for most of the country. I'm considering getting Autosocks for the one or two times year I'm stuck driving in a snowstorm. AutoSock - Better Than the Best Tire Chains - Shop Tire & Snow Socks Keeping a set(AWD might require two) in the car would be far cheaper than a second set of wheels and tires.