1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Locks - told they break "all the time" on Prius cars???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by coloprius, May 22, 2010.

1. coloprius

coloprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    In February, about 100 miles after buying a 2010 Prius III, I had the local Discount Tires place change out the factors tires for snow tires. They broke one of the wheel locks while doing so and gave me a coupon for a free fix at Brakes Plus.

Now, last week, I had them put the factory tires back on and, guess what, they broke another wheel lock. I was angry and the manager proclaimed that it’s been happening “all the time” with Prius cars and he’s sure that they’ll keep breaking until I get all four replaced with non-factory installed wheel locks. I was shocked at his statement because I hadn’t heard of this being an issue – is that the case or was he just trying to keep my business because I told him that I was taking my business to a place that doesn’t break things on my car everytime I come in? Oh, the manager also said that they did it by hand and that it still broke - proof to him that it doesn't matter where I take it (they'll still break).

2. cossie1600

cossie1600 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They are probably stupid and use airguns on the lock. Regardless, wheel locks are garbage anyway. I say just buy some new lug nuts and call it a day, no one is going to steal Prius rims....

3. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just to be sure, was it the "wheel lock", or the stud that the lug nuts go on to, which broke?

My reason for asking is that I had a stud go ... where else, but at Discount Tire. I have standard lug nuts -- not locking ones. They said the same thing about Prius studs -- that the studs break all the time -- and had the Midas shop next door fix it. Oh yeah ... it happened when I bought snow tires and had them mounted.

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What's the point of wheel locks unless you have 17" wheels (and even I don't have wheel locks)? Stock 15" wheels are basically worthless.

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agreed--even the 17" wheels aren't going to be high on any thief's list. I don't have locks on my V.

6. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    I am more worried about my tires than I am about my wheels, but that is nonsense. The locks on the Prius are identical to the ones on my wife's Lexus and they have served just fine for several years. You may not need them, but it is not their call, is it? Tell them thanks anyway and do it right.

7. coloprius

coloprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Joe said what I was thinking. The locks are factory installed and were there when I bought the car, so it wasn't anything I added or paid extra for. I would love for them to "do it right," but it doesn't seem like they're interested in that. So, when the first snow hits in Colorado, I'll be going somewhere else and see if they're capable of putting snow tires back on without breaking something :).

8. RodJo

RodJo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dealer installed or port installed to increase the price, sure. But why do you think they are installed at the factory?

9. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've used wheel locks for at least a dozen years and never had any problems with them. I've never used an airgun, always hand torque them, occasionally use a torque wrench. The brand I've used is McGard - Home - McGard: Innovative Security Products (a bit more expensive than some, but have never had a problem).

Keith

10. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Ssssshhh.....keep quiet about this or Toyota will end up charging extra for the "Auto Appearance Wheel Locks".

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem with wheel locks (practically standard on every Toyota equipped with alloys above the Corolla in Canada). They must be over-tightening it (also, how do you break a lock "by hand"??)

12. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have aftermarket Volk lugnuts and wheel locks and I make sure they get torqued by hand so I've never had a problem. Regardless of whether you have locks or not, places that use an air gun too zealously are going to do damage to your car.

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Air guns tend to damage things. Toyota does charge for the locking nuts. My V-AT was delivered with them. When I said I didn't want them--take them off the only thing they came off was the price of the car. I absolutely do not like the idea that someone traded 4 of my lug nuts and charged me for it.

14. mhadden

mhadden Precision driver!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Many people have had problems with the wheel locks breaking. It seems as if poor pot metal is to blame for a lot of breakages.

I agree with several here, though; just remove them. It's HIGHLY unlikely anyone will steal your wheels. That is, unless you live in the ghetto. Then I'd be watchful!

15. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mine are rusting a little on the Prius. I have the same locks on the Lexus and they are fine, but it is garaged and gets cleaned more often than the Prius which sits outside.

I'm just going to replace them with ordinary lugs.