1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wheel locks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fortheanimals, Aug 17, 2005.

1. fortheanimals

fortheanimals Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hi all!

would getting wheel locks be worth it? how often does tire theft happen on cars?

also, if i were to get them, could i install them at home? or if i buy them from the dealership, would they install them for free?

cheers!

2. PattiRose

PattiRose New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I ordered them on mine!!!

3. mfontain

mfontain New Member

I've had a bad experience with the wheel locks. I had a flat tire from running over a screw in my neighborhood. Fortunately, I was right by my own driveway, because when I went to take the wheel off, the wheel lock would not budge. The locks that Toyota had put onto my wheels had such an incredibly shallow slot for the key to fit into, that it just kept popping back out when I tried to turn it like a stripped screw might. The AAA guy that came to help couldn't even get it off.

I wound up having to drive on the flat tire to the nearest gas station, fill it back up, and take it straight to my dealer, who I had remove the locks from all four wheels. If I hadn't been so close to home, or if the tire was soo low I couldn't drive on it, then I would have had to get the car towed because of the wheel locks. Definately not worth it in my opinion. (Drove over another screw about 2 weeks later, and was VERY glad those wheel locks were gone that time)

4. fortheanimals

fortheanimals Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i have wheel locks on my old car, and whenever i go in to have tire work done, the 3rd party tire stores never have any probs.

i assume you were still having difficulty even though you had the wheel lock key?