1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

'Wheel-skipping' feeling when floor gas pedal, extremely low acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by pmelc1, Feb 15, 2024.

1. pmelc1

pmelc1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The last week or so I've been noticing an issue where when I hit the gas pedal hard, I feel a kicking/skipping/sputtering feeling seemingly coming from the [front?] tires or possibly from engine compartment. It's not a transmission slip, it's something different. I'll get like 1mph per second acceleration, extremely low. If I ease off the gas and press the pedal much more lightly, it will accelerate, still with a little of the skipping/sputtering feeling but milder.

I took it out on the highway and was able to get it up to 75 no problem, but with gradual, measured acceleration. It does not respond to flooring/sudden acceleration it as it usually does.

Suddenly have a lot of codes showing:
    P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow Sensor A Circuit Low (recommended fix replace MAF sensor)
    P0013 Intake AIr Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High Bank 1 (" " replace MAF sensor)
    P0137 O2 Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (recommended fix replace oxygen sensor)
    P1123 Coolant Control Valve Position Sensor Circuit High (recommended replace coolant control valve, was replaced <1 year ago)
    P2601 Coolant Pump A Control Circuit Performance/Stuck Off (recommended fix replace inverter water pump or repair water pump harness; inverter water pump was replaced <1 year ago)
    [Previously had following codes]
    P1150 Coolant Path Clog Up for Coolant Heat Storage System
    P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

The last two codes have been showing for a while, especially the catalytic code. The first 5 codes are all new, last two weeks. I recently replaced valve cover gasket and wondering if something with the wiring harness might have been put back wrong or damaged? I also sprayed some contact cleaner lightly on the fuse box as recommended by a friend since some of my fuses were dirty.

Didn't appear to be any reaction and car drove fine the next few days. The only difference since that job was done is that the brakes have been feeling hard/stiff. I chalked it up to the brake pump/fluid container being disconnected and refilled during valve cover gasket job.

It seems to coincide with an exhaust smell though I've had a faulty catalytic converter for a while and have a code for that (original was stolen). The tailpipe is also pretty badly flattened in one area (guess from a rock) though not fully.

Thankfully the above jobs were done very cheaply through a mechanic friend, so haven't set me back a ton.

#1 pmelc1, Feb 15, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2024
  2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't be too worried about those symptoms compared to those error codes. Once you work through those error codes and get everything fixed and cleared and they don't come back, I bet the symptoms will go away.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Man I don't know why they had to dump all the brake fluid out You're supposed to just block those lines anyway quite interesting You've got a lot of compounding things going on clean your MAF sensor with proper cleaner when you're going to spray the fuse box because some fuses are dirty It's not the part you can see that's the problem pulled the fuse out and look at the silver blades that actually go into the fuse plugs themselves more receptacles as the case may be that stuff's usually not dirty because the red yellow green and blue fuses have some dust on them bloods blow them off with an air hose no need to spray everything down with contact cleaner. The newer contact cleaner that doesn't do damage to plastic doesn't dry as fast so you want to be careful with that actually It's quite rare for the fuse receptacles in the fuse boxes to really need cleaning so you want to be careful around those electrical components than the non-damaging electrical contact cleaner which stays wetter longer doesn't dry as fast.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would inspect the engine wiring harness underhood for rodent damage. A MAF problem will cause low engine power, but as long as the sensor is plugged in I would not expect a code for the Intake Air Temperature circuit as well.

MAF & IAT are part of the same sensor assembly, but are different circuits.

Until the MAF works correctly, I wouldn't pay too much attention to P0137. MAF fault can/will cause a lean run condition, so having the S2 downstream O2 sensor set a low voltage (lean) code isn't that surprising. Might be related (wiring problem), might not be.

The 3-way valve (almost) always sets a P1121, so a P1123 also points to a possible wiring fault.

P2601 is the ECM saying "hey, the Coolant Heat Storage pump don't seem to work". No one wants to do any testing for that system, so you might as well continue to ignore the MIL being on.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.