1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

wheel trim resistance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by goodsam, Apr 23, 2006.

1. goodsam

goodsam New Member

Has anyone actually proven (not just guessed) the drag caused by the wheel trim rings? I'd like to take mine off, but I'm having fun getting the most mpg and even 1 mpg lost by taking the rings off would be a bummer. Once again, I'm looking for real test results rather than seat of pants guessing.
    thanks

2. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I don't have any test data, and I doubt you'll find any anywhere publically available.

All I have is the fact that Toyota says the Trim Rings were put on as part of the aerodynamic envelope of the vehicle, and contribute to the low cD and thus improve mileage.

Some people don't like the looks of them and take them off, and some people don't believe they make any difference.

I'm sure the difference is relatively small, smaller than, say, deploying a Drag Chute.

On the plus side they also protect the Rims from curb scuffs.

3. byebyeSTi

byebyeSTi New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tempus @ Apr 23 2006, 03:37 PM) [snapback]244048[/snapback]</div>
    When my car was new, I had the wheel rings on for less than a month. When I took them off, I noticed that there were scuff marks on the rims in the areas that the covers touched the rim. So technically speaking, they don't necessarily protect the rim. If I were to scuff the rims badly, I could always cover them with the wheel rings and people wouldn't see the damage.

I also prefer the look without, that's why I took mine off. If it costs me 0.00458945 miles per gallon, I could live with that.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good luck with finding this scientific answer! I'll be keeping my eye out, as I'd love to see some real info on this as well.

My WAG (sorry, I just can't help myself) is that keeping the rings on will save about as much gas as a fresh wax job. If those rings save 1mpg, I'll be the first in line to eat my shorts. :) And then I'll go out and put six sets on so I can finally get up there clost to 60mpg.

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(goodsam @ Apr 23 2006, 02:47 PM) [snapback]244039[/snapback]</div>
    To my knowledge no one has actually proven the effect of removing the trim rings.

If you want real time data just take them off and see what difference you notice?

6. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasalsa @ Apr 24 2006, 08:36 AM) [snapback]244198[/snapback]</div>
    I would qualify that to say "No one besides Toyota".

Toyota says they put them on to increase mileage. I'm assuming they did some testing. Toyota isn't the kind of company to waste the money it took to create them without a reason.

That's why I said I don't know of any 'publically available' data.

7. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had mine off for a while and my mileage is better than when I first had the car. Maybe my improved driving habits but I don't think they really impact it that much. Tire pressure on the other hand does have measurable impact and needs to be monitored.

8. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think the wheels look hokey without them personally...

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i dont like the looks of them without either, but just as many feel just the opposite which is just fine with me. i anticipate some great deals on e-bay should i ever need to replace one!