1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel Trim Rings- any downside to removing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by larkinmj, Apr 28, 2006.

1. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

I think the Prius wheels look much better with the trim rings removed. I'm not a hydrodynamicist, but I don't see that they could make a significant contribution to reducing drag and improving mileage. I've read the posts here from people who have removed them and the consensus seems to be no effect on MPG.
    My question is- is there any other reason not to remove them? I'm thinking that their actual function might be to direct cooling air to the brakes, and that removing them might contribute to brake wear. Are there any experts here who can answer that?

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I park on the street a lot. Those trim rings save my wheels couple of times. Other than that, I don't think there's any harm of removing them. Remember, the brake pads don't get use alot, M/Gs do most of the braking anyways.

3. yakky

yakky New Member

Don't do it. It disturbs the cars natural balance and could cause you to get into a fatal car accident, possibly killing your loved ones! :rolleyes:

Mine have been off since the day I took the car home. Makes the wheels easier to clean, and I think they stay cleaner. Those rings are definately an afterthought. My mileage is in the 50's so no real impact to mileage.

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think it's more a matter of personal preference than anything...I personally like the look with the trim rings on. I did take them off for a day, got some opinions and weighed my own, and ultimately decided to put them back on. I would much rather risk scraping plastic wheel covers against a curb when miscalculating a parallel parking job (oops!) than scratching the alloy wheel beneath. But that's just me. :)

I highly doubt any harm would potentially otherwise be done by removing them....

5. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the trim rings on. I think the wheels look to naked and old looking with them off. but I do like my racing hub caps better Racing Hub Caps

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you remove the wheel trims, be sure to limit your speed to under 107 MPH. At speeds exceeding that, the vibrations of the tubulance caused by the inward slant of the tire creates a rip in the space time continuum. Trust me, nobody wants that. So for everyone's sake, just leave them on!!

7. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

I've been trying to figure out what the heck a trim ring or wheel trim is. I've owned by 2006 for almost 7 weeks and the only plastic I see on the tires is the wheel cover itself. What ring are you guys talking about? :huh:

8. bsd43

bsd43 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ckbarnard @ Apr 28 2006, 10:49 AM) [snapback]246736[/snapback]</div>
    The wheel cover is only a ring. The wheel itself is aluminum alloy.

9. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

10. Prizzle

Prizzle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ckbarnard @ Apr 28 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]246745[/snapback]</div>
    We ( wife actually ) just got the Prius today ( White) traded the 04 Aviator. , Joined the forum and first mod that was obvious from reading was to pull the "vanity rings". Whatta difference! To heck with the .0000005674 loss in mpg.

Next is the lock mod, the nav lockout mod, tint the windows and tails, door guard trim, cargo mat, Sirius and Ipod mods, better bulbs for the fogs, think about some tC 17's and keep the stock wheels for Blizzaks.

Lambo doors???

K

My other car is a Chrysler 300C SRT8 425HP. Sorry.... Still, 28.5 avg CAFE between the two is not bad considering.

11. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

w00t! Welcome to PC, Prizzle!

Congrats on coming from MA, too, with its groundbreaking health care plan. I hope it works, after all the planning and compromising that went into it.

Don't forget the mud flaps. :) And Zaino for the paint (we have some devotees here).

12. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Apr 28 2006, 10:01 AM) [snapback]246608[/snapback]</div>

They make terrible Frisbees, just won’t fly.
    Take up space in garage.
    Can’t eat off them, food falls through the middle.
    So I just put them in my lips, makes me look and talk like a duck.

13. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not an expert, as you requested, but the only downside I found is the decision of what to do about 4 tire rings that no longer are on the car. I thought about placing them around the planters on the fron porch, but my wife nixed that bright idea. For now, they are sitting in the garage. They will probably hit the dumpster next month.

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prizzle @ Apr 29 2006, 08:45 PM) [snapback]247429[/snapback]</div>
    Search escaladeon22s in the search field. He has some comparos between stock, his tC 17s and his new Wedsport 17s.

15. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ Apr 30 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]247583[/snapback]</div>
    Since putting my page up showing the wheels with/without the rings, I've had about 10 PM's from people who want them. Just advertise them for the price of postage, and you'll have some takers, I'm sure. Don't put them in the landfill if somebody else can use them!

16. bagwell

bagwell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 30 2006, 02:05 PM) [snapback]247630[/snapback]</div>
    got my car Friday, took them off Saturday.....if someone wants them....$15......shipped...not a mark on them!

respond here and/or email me directly -- [email protected]

17. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I had them on for almost a year before taking them off. When I took them off first I put them back on almost immediately. Then a month later I took them off and was going to wait a week to see if I was sure. I haven't put them back on yet.

18. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(walt @ May 1 2006, 12:57 AM) [snapback]247583[/snapback]</div>
    Send 'em to me if you're just gonna dump them. I'll reimburse you the UPS ground charge.
    Bob Allen
    4512 38th Ave So.
    Sea 98118

19. asaulo1

asaulo1 Junior Member

just got my wife's Seaside Pearl Prius yesterday and the first thing I did was take out the wheel rings. it sure looks better (IMHO) without them......

20. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Just removed the wheel covers after 1½ years. "Looks" are, IMHO, better. Only negative I see is that the alloy wheels are harder to wash than running the mit over the relatively smooth wheel covers. Another plus: the valve stems are somewhat easier to access.

In my case, grime had collected below the covers for over a year.