1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheel upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Austin50mpg, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Austin50mpg

Austin50mpg Prius Driving Right Winger

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    First I don't want to hear about loss of MPG's. I have enough to spare :)

The 16" touring wheels get the same MPG's as the 15" base wheels. I would like to have a better looking car (personal taste). So the 17" + shouldn't be that far off in MPG's

I have searched around for post and web listings of anyone who has upgraded to the 17"+ wheels. I would actually like 18" wheels. I haven't found any concrete information or details in the process.

Discount Tire has a neat little page on their website that will show you what your particular vehicle will look like with their custom wheels. I like the looks.

My main question is about the TMS or what ever TLA you want to call the radio frequency device that monitors tire pressure.

So after all that long winded introduction.... Has anyone or know anyone who upgraded their wheels and tires without problems with the monitoring device.

Thanks.

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's the tires that are going to severely affect your MPG... So be very careful when choosing new ones. You must take weight and rolling resistance into account. Most 17" tires seem to be high performance oriented which means they will have a higher RR and be heavier.

Mine did not come with the pressure sensors so I cannot help you other than knowing what kind of MPG drop to expect. :)

3. Kremtok

Kremtok Smug Alert!

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you order from Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct they should be able to install the TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) sensors for you before the wheel and tire package is shipped. That's what I plan to do if / when I upgrade to 17" wheels on my car - it's easier and you have a pretty good guarantee that it's done correctly.

4. Austin50mpg

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks.

So I wonder if we have to ship the tire companies our current stock TPMS devices from our wheels, or is the RF the same for all Prius? Any knowledge on this. I know I could just call but Im lazy.

5. jukeboy

jukeboy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    if they have an option to install new ones, the sensor transmits a device ID that the on-board TPMS receiver reads, so I'd reckon you'd have to reprogram the receiver for the new ID should you decide to go that route; or you could go on backup wheels without the sensor while you send the sensors over to them

6. Austin50mpg

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  7. Glamisguy99

Glamisguy99 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When I upgraded to my tC wheels I asked at the dealer about new sensors. If you get new ones you will need to have them programmed to the car, as they have a unique id/serial number. I didnt want to pay for the sensors and the re-programming so I just had the guys at the tire shop swap them into the tC rims for me. I could have just left them out, from what I understand it won't adversly affect anything other than the tire pressure light coming on. It was just easier to swap them over than explain to my wife that everything is ok when the light comes on.

8. Austin50mpg

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks. This is my preferred way of getting new wheels. Have you had your wheels for a while? Any problems with TPMS such as continuous air leaking from the valve stim. (I heard this could be a problem when switching the sensors to new wheels)

Thanks again

9. Five5Six

Five5Six New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I had this same question, I want to upgrade my wheels but want to know what to do about the TPMS stuff.