1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheelchair Prius? - North America someday?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by bwilson4web, Mar 28, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Thanks to a Canadian posting that showed a grainy wheelchair driver and their Prius, I started looking again and found this:

toyota.jp Æ’vÆ’Å Æ’EÆ’X Âb Æ’EÆ’Fƒ‹ƒLÆ’Æ’Æ’uÂi•ŸŽƒŽÔ—¼Âj Âb Æ’tƒŒƒ“ƒhÆ’}Æ’`Æ’bÆ’NŽæ•t—pÂê—pŽÔ Âb ‹@â€\

Style 1:
    [​IMG]

Style 2:
    [​IMG]

As I look at the photos, my first thought is to install a hinge so the rear driver side door becomes a "suicide door" that opens to the front. This would let my wife stow her wheel chair behind the driver seat.

Has anyone else seen any wheel chair equipped Prius of note?

Bob Wilson

2. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I placed an elictric lift in a Curt hitch that lifts wheel chair into rear. Have to remove seat for overhead clearance

1 person likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Pictures?? Type of chair? Lift?

So you have enough mobility to go around the car to the driver seat?

Thanks,
    Bob Wilson

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It needs bigger rims to match the wheelchair wheels.

5. BlizzardJ

BlizzardJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That would be a truly amazing feat to fully integrate wheelchair accessibility and yet maintain that svelte 0.25 cd, although it still seems far fetched for a Prius to pull off. Chevy Astros and Dodge Caravans usually spring to mind when it comes to driving in a wheelchair.

6. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't know anything about the engineering required to equip a Prius to carry a wheelchair, but the Prius is the perfect car for the job. Especially if the wheelchair is electric.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    In our Gen 1 Prius, we had a Coastal Hitch (1.25") + basic carrier + Quickie V-121 (Sunrise Medical) - battery goes into the trunk/hatch. Had some flexing w/ the coastal design. As the chair is inop at the moment (my wife doesn't always need it), we haven't tried it out on the Gen III w/ the Curt Hitch, but imagine it'd work just as well.

We saw a noticeable MPG drop w/ the other Prius due to increased drag from the chair sitting a bit above the trunk line.

8. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    iT IS AN OLD (11 Yrs) RANGER II. WEIGHS ABOUT 175 LBS. NO NAME ON THE LIFT BUT BOUGHT IT USED ON EBAY. IT TAKES ABOUT AN HOUR OR TWO WITH TORCH AND WELDER TO MODIFY TO 1"1/4 CURT HITCH. WILL TRY TO GET PICS LATER

9. johnphillips

johnphillips New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    FWIW I've suggested to a family member to look at these auto lifts many of which are available for self installation from the look of the site.

I'm doing a bit of research trying find a solution for said family member is in the Prius market and of course worrisome about finding an auto lift.

Says its a self install...anyone tried this?

10. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The advent of carbon fiber and other very strong lightweight materials suggests that a person posessing the skills could invent a lightweight wheel chair and lift mechanism suitable for a Prius. I would wonder if Toyota has any thoughts about such handicapped accessible possibilities. With an aging US population. it would seem to be a growing market segment well worth combining with the premier hybrid car.