1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheels and suspension questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sea-horsea, Sep 7, 2007.

1. sea-horsea

sea-horsea Junior Member

i just got a 2007 base and planning on going 16" on my rims....will it have a better handling even if i don't change the suspension/shock?
    eventually will but just gonna do it step by step since the car itself drain my bank acct. dry...

what will be the best way on improving the handling and will it affect the MPG? thanks

2. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sea-horsea @ Sep 7 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]508668[/snapback]</div>
    My 2 cents:

1. Increase tire pressure to 42 front/40 rear. Cost - free. MPG Effect - will increase mpgs.

2. Buy the BT Tech Stiffening Plate. Cost - $145 (on sale thru 9/9). MPG Effect - none.

3. Skip the 16" wheels for now, and get premium grade tires like the Goodyear TripleTred, the Goodyear ComforTred, the Michelin HydroEdge, etc. You can get them in a wider size like 195/60/15 or 205/60/15. Cost - $400 - $500. MPG Effect - 1-4 mpg hit.

3. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(sea-horsea @ Sep 7 2007, 11:48 AM) [snapback]508668[/snapback]</div>
    Presuming you are going to put on 195/55-16 tires with the 16 inch rims, you might see some improvement in handling, but I doubt that it will be much of an improvement. Handling improvement comes from stiffer springs and shocks and a tighter/stiffer chassis. Without the stiffer springs, shocks, and chassis, going with wider/taller wheels and tires is a questionable expenditure.

You might try a first step of putting on the BT plate and increasing the tire inflation pressure on your present 15 inch wheels and tires. If that gets you a noticeable improvement, you are at the precipice of some decisions that will have a cost component - how far down the modification path to go? If the BT plate works for you on the rear, the next step would seem to be the TOM'S front (upper and lower) suspension braces. If you are not concerned with a lowered ride height and/or ride harshness, you might consider the TRD Sportivo suspension upgrade, although the TRD Sportivo will cost more than the TOM'S front suspension braces.

Another option that might not cost too much is to keep checking PC for an owner that has swapped out the shocks and springs of a Touring edition for the TRD Sportivo shocks and springs. The Touring edition shocks and springs are stiffer than the base suspension's but not as stiff as the TRD's. Also, there is no lowering of the car's ride height with the Touring edition suspension.

In any event, you will be looking at spending $$$ after the BT plate. After the BT plate, things get expensive.

Hope this helps.