1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheels get Rust-welded Onto Hubs

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kenmce, Sep 10, 2008.

1. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Had to change a flat tire the other day. Found that the rim had rusted itself solidly onto the hub. Took off all the lugnuts and the wheel *would not* come off. Knocked the car right off the jack twice kicking at the stuck rim.:eek: After I finally got that cute little spare on I went down to my mechanics. He said steel + aluminium + salt = yes they get stuck. I had them pull every tire and apply Never-seize between the hub and rim on all of them. Hopefully they'll come off without power tools if I need to change another tire.

2. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yep, that can happen with steel and aluminum unfortunately.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did the mechanic have trouble freeing the other three wheels from their hubs? If so, what technique did s/he use?

Do you have the tires rotated at 5K mile intervals? If not, maybe that would help to keep the wheels from bonding to the hubs.

scona likes this.
  4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have had this happen even with steel wheels on steel hubs and we don't even get (much) rust around these parts.

One trick to get it loose:

With the lug nuts loose but still on the studs, carefully lower the car to put weight on the wheel and let the weight of the car break it loose. I did this on the Toyota truck that we used to own after beating on it with the BFH and prying on it wouldn't break it loose.

5. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If that doesn't do it, loosen the lug nuts (but keep them still on the studs). Lower the car, and SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY drive it backwards and forwards 10 feet or so. If that doesn't separate the wheels from the hubs, you're way screwed!

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Galaxee (Prius Tech) wrote that the best way to remove the wheel is to grab a board (I used a three-foot 2x4) and hold it across the inside of the tire whilst you bang on the board as hard as you can. Worked for me when I rotated my tires.

How do I know this? When I removed the lug nuts and the wheel wouldn't come off, I started banging on it with a rubber mallet. After a few whacks, I went inside and came here to find out what kind of damage I was doing to my tire.

Unfortunately, when stuck on the side of the road with a flat, you most likely have neither a 2x4 or a rubber mallet. That part just stinks.

7. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Patrick Wong Did the mechanic have trouble freeing the other three wheels from their hubs? If so, what technique did s/he use?

Didn't watch. Counter guy said rubber mallets.

Do you have the tires rotated at 5K mile intervals? If not, maybe that would help to keep the wheels from bonding to the hubs.

No, it takes me a long time to drive 5k miles. Had similar issue on my gen I Prius, used paint on both surfaces, sold it before I could see how it held up in service.

Dogfriend
    With the lug nuts loose but still on the studs, carefully lower the car to put weight on the wheel and let the weight of the car break it loose.

It fell off the jack onto blacktop, didn't come loose.

Kohnen
    If that doesn't do it, loosen the lug nuts (but keep them still on the studs). Lower the car, and SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY drive it backwards and forwards 10 feet or so.

Thought of that, was afraid I'd destroy the tire, scrape up the underside even worse than usual.

TonyPSchaefer
    Unfortunately, when stuck on the side of the road with a flat, you most likely have neither a 2x4 or a rubber mallet. That part just stinks.

My thought too, thus the never-sieze.

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, I just can't imagine the wheels getting into that state,
    since I have them off fairly often and everything in there is
    kept nice and clean including the brake innards.
    _H*

9. Jayboogie007

Jayboogie007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This happened to me in o degree weather. You have to drive it slowly with lug nuts loose. If that doesn't work then drive it backwards while turning steering wheel and slamming breaks. I had to drive it up on a curb to make the seal break.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I tried all sorts of less civilized methods but lately I've just been sticking a plasti-dipped plier handle through the wheel spokes and prying against the brake caliper mount. Usually comes off without much drama even when it didn't feel like it was going to budge otherwise.

But I don't go years between rotations, either.