1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Wheelskins (Steering wheel cover)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by momo, Aug 4, 2009.

1. momo

momo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    All 2010 Prius level II & III is come with std. plastic steering wheel, which is one of the disappointed feature for a car starting $22750.

I saw Wheelskins product (Europerf) online.
    1) Just wondering anybody try the Wheelskins on GenIII?
    2) How it fit? and feel?
    3) Is it hard to install?
    4) GenIII steering wheel is not a circle (oval shape), would it still work?
    5) Any other comments ...

I saw few posts from Gen II Prius users.

For your info.
    http://wheelskins.com/europerf_wheelskin.php

2. nineinchnail1024

nineinchnail1024 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't mean to single you out, but I've noticed comments like this several times since I've joined the forums. How is it that we forget that this car is equipped with an extremely expensive and advanced hybrid drive system that is clearly factored into the price of the car? To me, a plastic steering wheel is a small price to pay.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, I don't know the answer to your steering wheel question.:noidea:

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    II and III come with cloth interior. What's the point of leather-wrapped steering wheel with cloth interior?

4. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Some people like the feel of a leather covered wheel.

1 person likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What do you mean, what's the point? there are plenty of cars with cloth seats and factory leather-wrapped steering wheel. It's nice to hold and in some cases, nice to look at.

6. sagoff

sagoff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Gee, I think you have just helped me discover yet another addtion to my 2010 Blizzard II. I think they look great (from the website), and they would eliminate that rough plastic feel on the steering wheel. A bit spendy, though.
    Thanks!

7. momo

momo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Definitely, I agree that Prius Hybrid drive system is an expensive & Hi-Tech equipment. However, I do have high expectation for new Prius in term of competing with similiar class car.

If Yaris, low model Corolla, or xD, I can fully understand why they offer plastic steering wheel, but not Prius. Plus, a leather (or artifical leather) steering wheel is not costing a lot extra or reducing mpg of the car.

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I guess I've never had them. They were either cloth with non-leather steering wheels or leather with leather-wrapped steering wheels. However, wouldn't cloth with factory leather-wrapped steering wheel be problematic for the anti-leather zealots and I've come across quite a few on forums who refuse to get leather for this reason.

9. Sphyrna

Sphyrna Priusite

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :focus:
    Can we get back to the OP's questions of has anyone actually installed this, how difficult and how does it look?

I would like to know also before blowing an afternoon doing this.

1 person likes this.
  10. wwbarr

wwbarr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I liked the leather steering wheel that came with our Gen II Touring edition when it was new and retained most of its original tackiness.

The leather steering wheel cover that comes with our Gen III V however is not nearly as tacky (my wife's Gen III IV is the same) so I have put a cheapo fabric steering wheel cover over the leather which takes a lot of getting use to.

I would love to replace the current leather cover with a tacky 3rd party alternative if it could be installed to fit just like the OEM.

too bad the littlest of considerations often make the most difference to our individual preferences, guess that's just part of being human.

11. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wheelskins make a whole lot of difference for the better on the steering wheel on the Prius.

12. momo

momo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  13. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For installation tips, search the Gen II forum or search the phrases "wheelskins installation", "wheelskins instructions", etc.

My memory is that Bill Merchant and Godiva had good installation tips.

1 person likes this.
  14. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've put similar leather steering wheel covers (different brand, same installation) on three cars in the past (and will eventually put one on my Prius). If you're anal about it the installation takes about an hour. They look great. (A friend who's really picky about his cars was skeptical when I installed one and he saw the result.)

15. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd like to know from those that have installed the two color ones do the seams between the color change bother you?
    Also has anyone found a difference between the smooth and the perforated ones?

16. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You can request free samples of the leather (in the colors of your choice) on the web site, including the perforated leather.

17. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's true but they're usually sport models so those types of people wouldn't be buying those cars anyway. (e.g. WRX or even the Corolla S)

Evan's done it on his 2004. It's fairly easy so to speak. It's just how deft are your hands/fingers? You'll be sewing and need a nice tight fit so that the wheel cover doesn't move around.

18. momo

momo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I received the samples last night (grey, charcoal, and black with perforated). The leather feels good, and seems durable.

Charcoal shade more reddish than the rest of the interior material color (My Prius color is dark Grey interior). So, I may go with the black or grey.

19. Dirk Lerxst

Dirk Lerxst New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can't comment on installing this particular style on a Prius, as I don't have a Prius (yet) and don't have this style, but I installed a Wheelskins cover in my Ridgeline and can happily say it is VERY worth it. My truck is equally saddled with a plastic steering wheel, which also had the misfortune of having an annoying ridge from where the two halves were molded together. I constantly, mindlessly played with it and it drove me crazy when I realized it. I didn't like the feel so I got one of these.

Once it's on, it's fantastic. Getting it on, however, is not an easy task if you're impatient. You have to line it up just right, you have to pull the thread just right, etc. Pay very close attention to the instructions. It took two tries to get it on there and only then did I notice that it had a nasty blemish right on the front side of it. Had I planned it out, it would have been on the back and unnoticeable. As it was, it was on the front and it looked bad. I got in touch with the company and sent a picture, and they sent out another one free of charge! Very, very good customer service. One more try later, it was on and perfect. I love it - it was worth the struggle. The leather adds the cushioning your hands, IMO, need when gripping the steering wheel for long periods of time.

20. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've always bought the smooth black leather ones. It feels the best and it don't show dirt.

1 person likes this.