1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When can you wax a new Prius?

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by lotto, Apr 24, 2007.

1. lotto

lotto Junior Member

Hello! I took the plunge and traded in my gas-guzzling 2000 Buick (an inheritance from my grandfather) for a 2007 Prius. I love the car and want to keep it looking pretty. I'd like to wax it but have read from some sources that it's best to wait a few months to let the paint "set." Is this true? How soon can you wax a new Prius? And what is the best type of wax to use -- I'm a little nervous about using the waxes with abrasive materials that eliminate scratches, because my new Prius doesn't have any scratches yet. :)

Thanks!

2. acdii

acdii Active Member

Check the build date of the car. If it just rolled off the line, then wait a month, if not, go right ahead and wax it.

Unlike repair finishes, factory finishes are fully cured when they are applied. They have huge ovens that bake the paint to full cure. If they didnt, then there would be issues with soft paint when they ship the cars as most of the cars I have seen shipped are wrapped up with self stick plastic sheets to protect the paint from scratches.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's fine to wax immediately. The car spent at least a month in shipping after it was painted.

This subject is a hobby or a religion for some. I waxed mine one day after taking delivery, three years ago, and never since. I wash it using Mr. Clean Autodry and it still looks new. No scratches, and minimal time spent on it.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1. You may wax immediately.
    2. Don't use a wax with any abrasives in it.
    3. Many of the synthetic "waxes" are easier and longer-lasting than the real stuff.
    4. The real stuff tends to look a bit better for a MUCH shorter time.

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to the Hybrid club, once you go hybrid you'll never want to go back to driving anything else! (Ahh smugness) ;) :)

I used Maguires Carnuba wax or if in a hurry Dupont spray no wipe off teflon wax every 6-8 months.

The car looked brand new, when I traded for the Hycam. B)

6. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Apr 24 2007, 08:43 AM) [snapback]429015[/snapback]</div>
    Uh.... not when you are coming from an electric car - today's hybrid is like driving any other gasoline car to me! But that's not the point here, and I'll shut up.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Apr 24 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]429032[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: