1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When did the battery warranty go to 10 years / 150k miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mooney, Mar 13, 2007.

1. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I know my owner's manual for 2007 says 100k miles, but the new priusyes.com site says otherwise.

2. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

It's been that way since at least 2005 in Calif. Some other states also I believe, but NOT many others.
    That site is from No. Calif.
    Carl

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mooney @ Mar 13 2007, 02:57 PM) [snapback]404986[/snapback]</div>
    The battery is covered under the emissions warranty. In California and "California states" (i.e. those that follow the CA guidelines - Oregon, Washington, Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York and New Jersey) that emissions warranty is 10 years/150K miles.

One thing that was never 100% clear to me is what determines what warranty you fall under. Is it the state in which you purchased your car? Where you take your car to get the warranty service?

4. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My understanding is that it depends on where you first registered the car. Toyota is supposed to honor that warranty even if you move out of state given that you purchased the car with the understanding that you would have that protection.

5. mooney

mooney Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Mar 13 2007, 04:10 PM) [snapback]404995[/snapback]</div>
    Well then I'm good since I bought the car in Massachusetts. Thanks!

6. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Mar 13 2007, 01:13 PM) [snapback]405000[/snapback]</div>
    Well, the dealer I got the car didn't bother telling me that. I though it was 8 years/100k miles.

And it was purchased and registered in Washington.

Dave M.

7. Boink

Boink New Member

Being in Oregon I was intrigued with the possibility that we might be following the California emission standard (and warranty)... so I asked a dealer I trust, and got this reply:

"I had my Service manager call our Service District Manager and here is the
    scoop: Oregon and Washington are not part of the 10-year/150,000 warranty: as both
    of these states have yet to adopt California Emission standards. Oregon and
    Washington most likely will be going to Cal Emissions in the near future."

Don't know if this is correct though.

8. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Mar 13 2007, 03:10 PM) [snapback]404995[/snapback]</div>
    The window sticker listed the warranty and the states that qualified. I suspect (or would argue) that the state of registration would be the deciding factor. If I have a catastrophic failure at 125,000 miles while I am in PA would I expect warranty service from the local dealer? Absolutely. Would Toyota deny warranty service to a PA car in NJ at 125,000 miles? I don't know. Either way I don't expect that I'll have to find out. :)

9. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think Toyota missed the boat on this one. The warranty should be the same for everyone. Why would someone who bought a Prius on one side of the river have a different warranty than an owner on the other side. Pa/NJ

10. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Mar 15 2007, 03:14 AM) [snapback]405966[/snapback]</div>

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :eek: :eek:

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tom 6850 @ Mar 15 2007, 04:14 AM) [snapback]405966[/snapback]</div>
    Warranties are a liability. Offering longer warranty costs Toyota more $ in the event replacements are needed and also means they either need to produce enough spares before ceasing production (and stock them) or produce spares longer. If they under produce spares after ceasing production, then restarting production may be prohibitively expensive. Besides that, there are labor costs, which will only increase over time due to inflation.

What they did was to only have the longer warranty for the states where it was required.

This difference in warranty for certain systems depending on state, esp. emissions isn't Prius or hybrid specific.

12. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Instead of blaming toyota, blame the states that have not signed up for the CA emission program! Vote for change so that the remaining states also joins into a better emission standard!

King A-F likes this.