1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When did "war" become "theater"?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Jul 12, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Listening to the news and hearing the term "theater" used over and over again, I thought to myself, "when did this term come about?" Anyone know? I'm guessing Eisenhower started it. For some reason, I remember hearing the "European theater" or the "Pacific theater" on various occasions. Do other nations use this tactic? I'm sure it's not uniquely American. Obviously, it's a euphemism to make war more palatable even entertaining to the news recipients. I wonder if people would like war less if instead of "theater", "slaughterhouse" (or "abattoir" for the francophiles) were used when being described in the news. I say yes.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    According to wikipedia, the term first showed up in a book published in 1873 titled "On War" by General Carl Von Clausewitz, and is defined as:

The government uses the term theater to indicate an area that has a seperate operational and administrative command. So back during WWII, You had the European Theater and the Pacific Theater.

As far as using it as a reference to the war in Iraq... I don't think it's entirely appropriate, as there's only one theater.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Some may call Iraq and Ahganistan seperate theaters in the 'war on terror'. But it really appears to be used just for spin. That isn't why it was coined though.

The wiki links:
    theater
    Carl von Clausewitz

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the term 'theater of war' is actually obsolete; reflective of isolationism and the times when physical space was great enough ---and our ability to traverse it limited enough--- to actually separate different 'branches' of the same conflict.

These days, our administration uses the concept as a way to focus on the shred of good news of the moment...by isolating the discussion to a certain 'theater' (instead of taking ownership of the entire conflict).

Kind of like buying a new car based only on the amount of the monthly payment...
    [laughing]

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jul 12 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]477596[/snapback]</div>
    I thought our administration used theater as in a puppet show: "Punch and Judy go to Iraq." Or maybe it's like one of those old Bob Hope road shows: "On the road to Baghdad." Or "George and Dick's excellent adventure."

Tom