1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When did you stop recording at fill-ups?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sanguis, Oct 29, 2005.

?
  1. Why would I ever want to keep track of lifetime mpg?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Stopped about 2000 miles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Stopped about 5000 miles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Stopped about 7000 miles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Stopped about 10000 miles

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I'm still recording and tracking my fuel/mileage!

100.0%
  1. sanguis

sanguis Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, I'm not sure how many of you record your mileage, but I'd like to see if anyone else gave up and after how many miles.

2. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm at 4500 miles and plan on continuing to track until I trade it in, probably sometime after I've put on 100-150k miles.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    15,000 miles, 14 months and still tracking.

4. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
  5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    lost all data after about 3 months and said screw it...

but that's just me :)

6. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Never got into that, though I'm as rabid as anyone at calculating each tank.

7. PeteB

PeteB PeteB

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    72,000 miles and still counting - using a database on my PDA makes it easy!

8. syncmaster

syncmaster Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I keep a book with milage and fillups, and also record oil changes and other maintenance stuff done. I will use it to prove to toyota that the maintenance (oil changes, tire rotation, filters) was done in case I have a warranty issue.

9. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

I wish I would have been calculating MPG for the past 15 years. The Prius has really opened up my eyes to fuel efficiency and conservative driving techniques.

I plan on recording MPG data for the rest of my lifetime.

10. PeteB

PeteB PeteB

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [all mpg in this post is based on UK gallons]

Indeed, I have done since my first car in 1974, and yes, it IS an eye opener (using note books until pocket computers became available)

My second car, and first automatic, was a 1968 1.3 litre - (European) auto boxes were horribly inefficient in those days, and it only got just over 23 mpg overall - occasionally did 36 on a run.

Modern (GM) 1.8 and 2 litre autos in the 1990s managed mid 30s and I was happy with that. A Volvo automatic 1.8 only gave about 25 mpg overall, and it was slow accelerating at low speed and noisy on the motorway (freeway). I then switch to a small car, a 1.3 Toyota Yaris auto, which managed about 42, so I've been delighted the last 3½ years to get 51 out of the 2 Classic Prius I've owned. The Prius also beats the Volvo and Yaris hands down on acceleration at any speed up to it's limited 99 mph.

11. Weinerneck

Weinerneck New Member

I made this Excel file to keep track of everything that is done on the Prius. It drives my wife nuts but all she has to do is write the ODO on the fuel receipt. She's the one that drives it mostly, she's all over our county with her job. Before the Prius she was spending over $300 a month on gas, now it's down to $135 or so.

There's my spread sheet that I keep track of everything on.

Let my know what you think.

12. DanP

DanP Member

Same here. The freeware TotalCar app makes data entry a snap, and I can track multiple cars for fuel and maintenance. It has a module to record collision data, too, but I'm not going to use that feature.

13. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

Same here! I have a bound notebook, I record everything in, including my mpg experiments and customizations on the car. And I have done that since my first car. I thought everybody did that.

As for the mpg I transfer data to my spreadsheet so no more hand calculating. If you don't watch for trends, how would you know if your car was heading toward a problem? By the time you get an error code it could be a bit late! But most anything going wrong with engine or HV battery would show up first in a mpg drop.

I record any unusual computer glitches too, in case they are the start of a trend.
    Like the other day I had abs and other brake warnings. I rebooted and all was fine, but it went into my notebook.

I may drop posting in green hybrid eventually but plan to do it for two years, so any break-in trend should show up there.

14. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Same here, did that with every car I've owned, as long as I've owned it.

15. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Always have. Always will.

Every one should always record mileage for any car. It is a good way to track engine performance. When mpg drops unexpectedly, it can be a sign of impending trouble. With hybrids a sudden drop may be due to weather or tire pressure or a change in driving style, but only a history of mpg data can help you know.

16. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    2001 Prius, 79427 statute miles, 1770.8 US gallons, USD$3182.97

Claims of 46 mpg exclude the driving done with roofrack, etc.

17. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Same here -- I use DocumentsToGo, and record it on a spreadsheet that I can view in Excel on the Mac.

Yes, I'm an engineer. Why do you ask? :p

18. MNPrius

MNPrius New Member

Weinernectk - Thanks for the spreadsheet and the suggestion about spouses. I'll be the one that wants to track it and my husband will be the primary user. I'll use both your suggestion on the gas slip and the spreadsheet! :D

As to original question - never did for any other car. On 2nd tank of Prius and plan to track!

19. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I tracked it throughout the time I had my '03. For the FEH, I've even added to the spreadsheet to include the price per gallon to fill the tank, how much I paid, and since I'm carpooling, how much both myself, and the co-worker have paid. I'm also tracking the cost to fuel the vehicle overall.

20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    20468 miles, 394.674 gallons, I do it so when someone driving a SUV says I get 26 mpg I pull out my palm and show them the data and ask for theirs. Mostly they don't keep track they are quoting the best number they saw on the sticker when they bought the car. The price of gas is not nearly high enough to change people habits.