1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When do electric vehicles become cleaner than gasoline cars?

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Jun 30, 2021.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Analysis: When do electric vehicles become cleaner than gasoline cars? | Reuters

The model was developed by the Argonne National Laboratory in Chicago and includes thousands of parameters from the type metals in an electric vehicle (EV) battery to the amount of aluminium or plastic in a car.

Argonne's Greenhouse Gases, Regulated Emissions and Energy Use in Technologies (GREET) model is now being used with other tools to help shape policy at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the California Air Resources Board, the two main regulators of vehicle emissions in the United States.

Jarod Cory Kelly, principal energy systems analyst at Argonne, said making EVs generates more carbon than combustion engine cars, mainly due to the extraction and processing of minerals in EV batteries and production of the power cells.

The cost to making batteries includes the 'formulation' step that is a series of charge-discharge cycles in a thermally controlled environment. Traditionally, this has increased the amount of CO{2} attributed to building an EV. However, Tesla has a new patent that substantially reduces this battery manufacturing CO{2} cost:

Bob Wilson

2. privilege

privilege Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    generally speaking, the shear number of parts in ice are staggering when compared to electric motors. each part creates waste.

after the manufacturing is over, every trip is "cleaner".

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The GREET model provides one credible model but I use my GreenBack dollar:
    • $24,000 for Model 3 with trade in Prius Prime.
    • $2.75/100 mi around town. Even lower when free charging included.
    To the extent cash has a CO{2} association, I’m making out like a bandit.

Bob Wilson

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's as good a yardstick as any I've seen.....

5. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    there's a thread running right now that talks about one of the first ENVIRONMENTAL studies brought about by the oil industry back in the 1950's. There's the feeling that since the oil industry generated the test - that it taints the results .... whether or not that's true. then Along came art spinella, now dead, working to 'prove' the Hummer was more green than a Prius - cradle to the Grave. All that to say, unfortunately we have to look through jaded lenses because often the creator of such green factor tests - have an agenda.

#6 hill, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
  6. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I only read the Reuters article so far. Good article, thanks for linking.
    Statistical analysis relies on large numbers, so the results will rarely match an individual’s case.
    When people use “real world” they typically mean “my personal results”.

As mentioned by Reuters, the results depend upon the variables.
    In their look at the variables, best case is an EV ‘pays off’ the extra CO2 manufacturing cost after 8% of its lifetime.
    Worse case, it pays off the difference after about half of its lifetime.

#7 Zythryn, Jul 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2021
    Trollbait likes this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The OP's linked article could be better titled;
    When DID Electric cars become cleaner than gas vehicles.
    Does it really matter if costs/environment/labor are arguably more intensive to build at this moment in time?
    You buy a new Fleet of commercial jetliners because they are more efficient & it doesn't matter if their up-front costs are greater.

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^ I think the carbon cost for the batteries is the thing.
    Some of it is FUD.
    Some of it isn’t.

Elon seems to want to leverage his sun gazing to offset the environmental cost of getting all of the battery building blocks….and remember….the airliner comparison is apt.
    EVangelists love to think that they’re saving the world by using BEVs to go to the Food Whole but most of the things and many of the people on the planet still move by trucks, ships and planes.

Nucular power is still the most carbon neutral way to burn your morning toast, but try getting another one built anytime soon…. ;)

I use “real world” in the military sense.
    There’s simulated….and then there’s real world.
    You train like you fight so that you fight like you train, but you still have to use simulations sometimes.
    Often times when the fit really hits the shan or vice versa you will hear somebody ask whether or not it’s”real world.”
    A historical example in the 40s was: “Air Raid. Pearl Harbor….This is NO DRILL!”

In big “E” (the greens) they use a lot of studies to fight their battles, so I often say….

There’s CLEAN, and then there’s STATISTICALLY clean.

It’s sort of the same thing….. ;)

ACTUAL mileage WILL vary.

#9 ETC(SS), Jul 17, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    dbstoo likes this.