1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When Driving on Battery Should engine come on?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by chett, Aug 7, 2006.

1. chett

chett New Member

I am a newbie so bear with me. When I came to a complete stop, I decided to try to run on the battery to my destination which was about 1/8 a mile of straight road. I wanted to see how it ran on just battery. When I put it in B, I noticed that I was not getting 99MPH, but more like my regular MPG when I accelerate with it in regular drive. The engine was still running. This is the second time it has happened, because this is the second time I have tried to drive it on just battery. Is this normal?
    Thanks

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First, that "B" does not mean battery. Unfortunately, many salespeople are still spreading that incorrect information. It actually means "Engine Braking", which is entirely different.

As for how long/far you can drive using only electricity, that is primarily determined by how much you draw from the battery-pack. 10kW is the tolerance. Exceeding that causes the engine to start and join in. The same is true when the charge-level drops below about half too.

Also, if heat is needed for either the cabin or the emissions system, the engine will start back up regardless of electric draw.

So yes, that was normal.

3. chett

chett New Member

You are right - I WAS told that it was where you could drive just on battery. So, if the "B" is for engine braking what does that mean exactly and why or when would it be appropriate to use it? Thanks so much for your response
    Chris

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    John's response is a good one, but I just want to expand on what "Engine Braking" is. It's basically the Prius' equivilant of "downshifting". It uses the engine to help to slow the car down. The only time that you should need to shift into "B" is if you are going down a relatively steep hill for a long time. Other times, it is actually harmful to fuel efficiency to drive in "B" (although, it doesn't hurt the car itself).

Most people on the East Coast of the US will literally never have a time when they need to shift into "B." Living in CT, I know that I never have.

5. chett

chett New Member

Thanks a bunch! That explains a lot! I hate that I was misinformed, but glad to know exactly what it is and the fact that I probably won't be needing it much...if at all.
    Chris :D

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that it matters in day to day driving, but that 10kw threshold is not entirely accurate. It's quite dependent upon and varies with the SOC of the battery. I find that with the SOC in a normal (blue) range I can use the battery only up until about -30amps draw. If SOC is below 50% only about -20 amps. And up to nearly -50amps if the SOC is above 70%.

For driving in all electric you need to consider an EV button or mod (check the articles section and coastaletech.com )

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(luvmyprius06 @ Aug 7 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]299042[/snapback]</div>
    Well, you're certainly not the first (and unfortunately probably not the last) to be misinformed by a dealer. In fact, "B" mode may win the prize for "Prius Component Most Often Bulls**ted About By Dealers."

The manual has a decent explanation, if you want to read more.

8. nexrec

nexrec New Member

That might be true, but we do have some pretty mountainous regions nearby in Virginia. I also have a street near my house that engine braking might be useful on (the hill is so steep the houses look crooked). Then again, I'm tempted to store up the batteries by braking all the way down the hill. Anybody know which would be better for the car?

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M. Knight @ Aug 7 2006, 11:06 AM) [snapback]299049[/snapback]</div>
    Neither one is 'better for the car', but it is more fuel efficient to just use the regenerative braking.

Feel free to play with B-mode...get it out of your system. It's fun, it's neat, it's different, but it's a waste of time and fuel for all but the longest mountain grades.

10. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M. Knight @ Aug 7 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]299049[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah. Your point about the battery charging is what made me say that you may never need to use "B" on the east coast. The reason people downshift at all is to avoid overheating (friction) brakes. Since the Prius uses regerative braking most of the time, you're not using the friction brakes when you're braking a lot. Engine braking only becomes necessary when the battery is full (so regenerative braking is no longer used) and you don't want to be using your friction brakes excessively.

EDIT: Yup. What Evan said. He beat me to it. It's only useful for both long and steep downgrades.

11. jiw395

jiw395 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 7 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]299045[/snapback]</div>

whats the concerns of this item, "EV BUTTON" , good/bad, how does it effect factory warranty??
    How many members are using this??

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have one and the effect on the warranty is unknown since I don't think anyone has had any issues with it yet. It's standard equipment on all Prius sold outside of NA and those Priuses have the same 8yr/160,000km hybrid component warranty as us.

13. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norman H. Renehan @ Aug 7 2006, 10:03 AM) [snapback]299099[/snapback]</div>
    Lots of members have it. Some use it a lot, some use it only once in a while. This is available in Europe and Japan, but not in North America. Interestingly, the software is, so if you short one pin in one plug to ground (many ways to do that), the EV mode will activate if the conditions are right.

Please bear in mind that the distance you can go is only a mile or so. Plus, the ICE will have to run to charge the battery back up. If used properly you can save some mileage, if not you can waste mileage. I use it to go around a large parking lot, going home from a store close to where I live and moving it out of the garage. Others use daily on their commutes.