1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When if ever to check PCV and cleaning of battery fan?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Another, Jul 22, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don’t think either of these is a scheduled Toyota maintenance item but problems with either I see can lead to major bad consequences.

Just wondering if either or both are something that should be checked or just a leave it alone if it ain’t broke thing on a 2007 Prius approaching 200k with no other known issues.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With 200k miles:

The PCV valve is probably simplest to just replace, they’re around $10 from dealership. Old one likely fine, but who knows.

Hybrid fan, yeah I’d clean, if only to see where it’s at.

Concur: Toyota should maybe strip out that blinking drivers floor mat check, and add a once-in-a-blue-moon service interval for both PCV valve (replace) and hybrid fan (clean).

#2 Mendel Leisk, Jul 22, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It’s a matter of opinion. If you don’t carry pets on a regular basis, take a peak at the fan, but the intake grill will usually give you a clue.
    My fan has never been dirty.
    You could shake the pcv, but I would ignore it

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Should mention: ONLY use spec’d Toyota PCV valve from dealership; they’re specific design, and cheap anyway. If i was gonna set an interval to replace, same as spark plugs? That’s 120k miles or 12 years in States.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I always say a new 12v battery and cleaning the hybrid cooling fan is the 1st step before you start working on a bad hybrid battery. You have to eliminate those concerns first.

As for a bad PCV valve, not since the 1970's have I heard of one of those fail... Even the worst most beat up cars I've worked on that I replace the PCV valve on, there was no indication it was not working properly. In my experience people who think there's a risk of PCV valve failure are delusional. Mechanically it's such a simple device there's very little about it that could fail unless you have so much gunk in your engine that valves have already failed and then only maybe is there a slim chance it could get clogged.

6. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks for all replies. I have a recent 12v battery, changed plugs at 120k miles, thankfully no oil consumption problems and never carry animals. The grill looks clean.
    If the consensus is that the PCV is hardly ever going to fail other than through fouling and I have no consumption problems, I guess I’ll just let things be for now and revisit at 240k plug change.