1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When is it environmentally best to replace a vehicle?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, Nov 17, 2006.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Yes, I know, buy the darn Prius now! However, I have the two vehicles listed below (trying to sell the RX-7 - any takers ;) ) and really must sell one before getting the Prius. I have someone who wants to buy the anti-Prius, but I really want to keep it for a while longer - I usually keep my vehicles for 10 years or so.

So, is it environmentally responsible to buy a -insert gas gussling non-Prius here- and sell it before you "use it up" - say less than 10 years? Where is the enviro. cost vs benefit crossover, or is there one?

My thinking is if everyone bought a new vehicle and then got rid of it after say 3-5 years that would be harder on the environment than the benefit gained if they all switched to a Prius.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to calculate the environmental cost.

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know that it really matters. After all, if you trade it in or sell it at 3 to 5 years old, it's not like it is just crushed or something, someone will buy it and drive it. The bigger issue is probably demand for new cars -- if they can't sell model X of a given new car, they quit producing more of them.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I usually get a new car every ten years. My Saturn was actually 9 when I sold it and bought the Prius.

The car you're selling is going to be used by someone. Would that person buy a worse, more polluting car if yours was not available? Would they, instead, buy a new car if yours was not available? If you keep your car another 5 years so it hits the 10 year mark.....how much more has will your burn and pollution will you produce? Yes, the person buying your car will do that...but you won't.

Each and every hybrid on the road makes things a little bit better. Start adding up the little bits and eventually you'll see a change.

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tend to drive it until the wheels fall off, but let's discuss trading it in after 3-5 years.

Who ever gets your old hybrid is getting something cleaner and more FE than at least 95% (more or less) of what's on the road. You are supporting hybrid technology and opening up the market for second-hand hybrids. At this point - no guilt. Maybe 15-20 years from now it would be a concern....

5. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  6. SoopahMan

SoopahMan Member

Yes, if what you're after is maintaining the environment then the #1 issue is avoiding your current vehicle being sent to the scrap heap. If that's your priority, you want to find someone who's a good driver, but poor. They'll drive that thing till the wheels fall off to save cash, and they probably won't total it along the way.

Not selling the poor-emissions car would actually cause more harm to the environment - since now, that buyer you would have chosen will buy something else of little difference while you keep driving a polluting car around even though you can afford better. Sell the polluting car and buy your Prius.

Choosing the right buyer is the key. Good luck.

7. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So long as it's not being sold to a junk yard, i think you could sell it guilt-free. A vast majority of cars are driven 10+ years by one or more owners, with most of the others being totaled in an accident. I think you could be fairly confidant that, even if you aren't driving it, someone else is, somewhere.

8. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ Nov 17 2006, 12:07 PM) [snapback]350851[/snapback]</div>
    I agree with every sentiment expressed so far. I think you can conceive of this in two parts.

First, by far the simplest way to think of this is as a pipeline -- full of people holding cars of varying qualities. Your new car comes in at the front, you sell your old one down the pipeline, ... chain reaction, everybody trades up who wants to ... and the nastiest car comes out the other end, to be junked.

But second, and this is where I sense your concern, aren't you kind of increasing the throuput of the pipeline by buying new cars at rapid intervals? Basically, the more stuff you put in up front, the more gets scrapped at the other end (if the pipeline is inelastic). Further, there's no guarantee the pipeline is inelastic -- perhaps the presence of numerous quality used cars encourages more net miles to be driven? So if everyone turns over cars rapidly, you might see both a decline in car age at time of scrappage (wasteful) and maybe greater miles drive due to more widespread access to higher quality cars.

So if you put 1 and 2 together, there has to be some tradeoff. If we all bought new cars every year, the age of the car fleet would decline, current emissions would decline, but we'd be pushing a lot of vehicles out the end of the pipeline, compared to a situation where we waited longer between car purchases. So at some point, the environmental costs of new manufacture and scrapping would outweigh the environmental benefits of lower current emissions. In theory. Tough to thinkwe'd be anywhere near that point, based on what I see on the road, but I can't claim to have studied it.

There are a lot of imponderables there, and in a quick Google search suggests there's an entire scholarly literature on this topic.

One piece of information is that, based on two good studies that I've read recently, at current car lifetimes, of the total life-cycle energy use of a typical car, perhaps 10-15% is in manufacture and scrappage, the other 85% is in the gas you burn. So, the energy cost of, say, scrapping a car one year earlier than you had to is maybe a percent or two of the entire energy cost of the vehicle. That's not the whole story but I think it suggests that reducing the emissions of the current fleet is more important than keeping a car on the road another year or two.

Second piece of information is that the cars still on the road are getting older, on average. That's clearly at leastly partly due to the switch to SUVs (light trucks). But at any rate, the high rate of new vehicle sales over the past decade has not resulted in shorter vehicle lifetimes. In part, I'm sure that's technology at work -- cars today are better than cars built 20 years ago. But in any case, the raw numbers (see site belw) show that, now, we're not pushing cars into the junkyard faster now than we were 10 years ago.

http://www.bts.gov/publications/transporta...gure_02_10.html

So, we aren't pushing cars thorugh the pipe faster, in fact, I guess the pipe is elastic, and we're both buying new cars and hold old cars longer. Doesn't look like you'll be encouraging anybody to scrap their car early.

Upshot: buy the darn Prius now.

9. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ Nov 17 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]351043[/snapback]</div>

I just wanted to say that this is a really great post.

10. Platypus

Platypus New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't know about the environmental angle but If you keep the RX-7 and get a Prius you can have two revolutionary vehicles in one garage :)

And yes I do realize that Wankel engines have fairly poor emission standards but it was/is a fairly ingenious way of re-thinking Automobile-tech.

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, the RX-7 has a "metallic cat" that I installed last year. When I got the car all cats. had been removed. If you stood behind it with the engine running your eyes would water! The metallic cat is amazing. Latest technology. They make them by taking a strip of stainless and impregnating it with rhodium and platinum, crimping it in a zig zag and wrapping it in a tight spiral. It then is placed inside a stainless canister. Best part was it's an "ultra high flow" cat. and when I put it on I lost no power, yet you can no longer smell the car. ;)

However, you're right, the wankel is not an efficient engine. The car does pretty well for a 300 HP vehicle though. It will get just under 10 l/100km on the highway (at 120 km/hr). I don't want to discuss city mileage. :( ;)