1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When is the battery really full?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Golffor1, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Golffor1

Golffor1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have read that the battery on a prius never gets full. I thought it went with a 80/20 split with 80% being "full" and 20% being "empty". When the battery on my prius shows to be full is it really full and is this something that I should worry about, or try not to let it get this full?

2. TN Traveler

TN Traveler Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just drive it, the car is smart enough to take care of these kind of things, the more I treat mine like a regular car the more I enjoy it.

Rainking likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it is never full or empty, and you don't have to be concerned, it takes care of itself. if you want to concentrate on something, study the threads on mpg's and practice improving them every time you go out. it's addicting!;)

4. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    +1 Just enjoy the car. :D

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    As already mentioned here and elsewhere, do not be concerned with the battery gauge on the MID. The car will manage battery levels/charge. Just drive and enjoy the car.

6. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As everyone has already said, just drive it!

But to answer your question, when the MFD shows "full" (all green) you are around 80% actual SOC on the HV battery. When the MFD shows 1 purple/pink bar (it is never completely empty in READY) it is around 40% SOC on the HV battery.

You would need an external charger to bypass the Prius safety limits and charge past 80% which is highly unlikely, unsafe, and not worth anything.

It is however possible to get below 40%. If you run out of gas, the Prius will allow you drive on the traction battery alone in EV mode to limp to the side of the road. However if you count on this and try to drive a mile or two to the nearest station, you may make it, but your SOC will more then likely dip way below 40%. This is bad for the traction battery. Worst case scenario is you deplete the pack to about 12% to 15% which is too little to spin MG1 and thereby start the ICE. Now you have a chicken and egg problem. You need to recharge the battery which only happens with the ICE spinning, but your battery is too discharged to spin MG1 to start the ICE. The only solution is to recharge the pack externally which Toyota can do with a specialized wall charger that is flown in from Japan on an as-needed basis for $$$$.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ Moral of the story: stretching tanks is a fool's game. Really, it's not improving your mileage, it's just a numbers game.