1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When is the best time to mod your car after you buy it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by priusenvious1, Dec 17, 2012.

1. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Immediately or enjoy it stock for awhile before you mod it?

I just got one and I'm constantly itching to mod it already, especially the wheels. Love the car but the 15's are weak!

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on the mod...and the owner.

If you're going to be changing out things like rims/tires, doing some de-badging or painting your brake calipers?
    You can probably do that just about any time. Anything that's not going to involve cut and paste to wiring, motor, or suspension pieces/parts is probably fair game. Same with tint...if you're so inclined.

Just a few words of advice:

1. Warranty.
    No.....the dealer can't say that the pink LED accent lights caused your motor to suck a valve and thus they're not going to honor the warranty claim...
    However (comma!) if your car looks like a bag of a$$ then they're going to more carefully examine any warranty claim that you do submit.....and you know what? Even though the burden of proof is on them they can still make a simple process very painful.
    2. How long you're going to keep your new baby?
    Most people are four years or less and out when it comes to cars. Keep your OEM bits as you mod so that you car return your car to stock condition before you sell it. Not everyone likes the same mods that you do and a car that hasn't been....ah (* ;) *) "tinkered" with is usually more desirable (and more valuable) when you fall in love with the next car that you're going to drive until the wheels fall off (in a year or two...)
    Besides.....you can sell the carbon fiber butt scratcher and the neon green door handles to some other sa...(*!) er...I mean "enthusiast" if they don't fit your next car.

Good Luck!

F8L likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    strike while the iron is hot!

4. Totmacher

Totmacher Honey Badger don't give a carp

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  5. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would say that after buying it is the perfect time to start the mods.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no time like the present!(y)

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    F8L is looking to trade his 17's for pip 15's.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would suggest holding out as long as you can. Get to know the car better then start making changes. I agree with ETC(SS). Mods will usually reduce the value of your car when you go to sell it, especially if you want to trade it in.

If you are not strapped for cash and you have a healthy retirement fund then have fun with the mods. ;)

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I already traded for PIP wheels. Thanks though! :)
    image.jpg

10. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    how come you preferred PIP wheels over bigger ones?

11. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Probably mileage.

SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 ? 2

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm going to have to agree w/the above and ETC(SS)' advice. I'm not one that's into modding. My Prius approaching 7 years old and has no mods other than the now defunct yellow CA carpool lane stickers.

OP, I am curious since you seemed to have buyer's remorse/regret about buying a PiP at I bought a plug in. Might not have been worth it... | PriusChat and the advanced package which is even more $ (I wouldn't pay that kind of price), are you going to have similar regrets about dumpi.... errr spending even more money into mods? The mods themselves aren't likely going to appreciate in value and yes, it might reduce the value of your car too, when selling it.

Is that a good idea? Is it "worth" it?

F8L likes this.
  13. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    mod it all day, everyday :p

14. priusenvious1

priusenvious1 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The only remorse I'd have about mods are if the mods cause me day to day problems. I remember I had rims on my old car and they got slightly bent. Not enough to warrant new ones, but just enough to leak air into my tires very slowly. So its things like that.

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fuel economy and comfort. With the 15" wheels I have the option of using the Energy Saver A/S tire. This tire is 2-3mpg more efficient than the OE tires on the Prius. The 17" wheels with the best low rolling resistance tire cause a loss of 2-4mpg vs. the OE 15" tire. So with the best 15" tire vs. the best 17" tire I lose about 6-8mpg. If I didn't drive 30-35k miles a year I wouldn't sweat it. The CT wheels looked awesome and I already miss them but fuel economy and the fun mpg competition with my PC friends make the loss in appearance worth it. The PIP wheels look decent enough anyway. :)

I also enjoy the ride much more with the 15" Energy Saver A/S. They are a lot better than the crummy OE Yokohama and Goodyear Fuel Max tires.

16. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    hey F8L, any good winter tires you can recommend on 15' oem rims ?

17. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Basic mods like wheels won't cause you problems unless you are unlucky enough to get defective wheel or tire.

Ohh and if you hate rattles then stick with the more cushy 15" tires. Harder low profile tires will make rattle worse!

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. Michelin X-Ice Xi3! Get them while they are on sale with the $70 rebate. They are LRR and offer excellent traction as well as road manners and comfort.

19. ucsmfu

ucsmfu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    for my snow tires, should i get them on 15' oem rims or 17' FRS rims, still debating :p

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok... just wanting to make sure. I mean... you seemed to feel that spending "$41K" (I think you're eligible for some tax credits and incentives like the CVRP) "might not have been worth it", yet it's "worth it" to spend even more $ on something that you won't get any return on and might even reduce your return?

The mods aren't going to help you get free charging or significantly better mileage. And, if you change wheel sizes and tires, you might end up paying more for replacement tires.