1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When should I know the VIN of my new Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by magicguy, Apr 14, 2006.

1. magicguy

magicguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi all,

I'm getting an 06 Prius -- I was in the month's allocation and according to the manager, my car was due in port today (14 April). So my sales guy calls me today and says the car should be ready for me between 24 April and 2 May. I asked for the VIN but they don't have it. The sales guy basically says that Toyota has a temporary number (not a VIN) that's only 7 or 8 digits, and that the dealership doesn't get the VIN until a few days before it gets to the dealership.

Does this sound right? When should I expect to ge the VIN? And should I be worrying about anything?

With all the talking we have done, I am confident that my Barcelona Red 06 package 6 (with no floor mats, I'm getting them cheaper from the parts shop) is actually coming in, but I'm not sure why they wouldn't have the VIN for me.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    John

2. highroute

highroute New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(magicguy @ Apr 14 2006, 04:17 PM) [snapback]239908[/snapback]</div>
    Is there any reason that you're sweating this?

Here's my story: I went to the dealer to pick up my own 2006 Barcelona Red Metallic. As the salesperson and I were doing the paperwork, the sales manager came in and said another party was down the hall picking up his own Barcelona Red Metallic, but he wasn't sure he liked the interior color. Would I be willing to swap, since "mine" was the color he thought he preferred? As it turned out, the other party decided to stay with what he had, but I could have driven away with a different car from the one the salesperson had put my name on.

So even if you get the VIN on "your" car in advance, are you really sure it will be the car you actually sign for and get title to?