1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When should I start seeing back to normal/ better mpg after hybrid battery replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by webbster1216, Jun 4, 2018.

1. webbster1216

webbster1216 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, after posting here and doing my own research i was able to catch the signs of my battery failing before it completely died in my 2007. Ended up getting a battery out of a totaled 2013 with 66k on it (know this doesnt really matter) for around 700 dollars. Luckily, the mechanic who works on my prius on jobs im less inclined to do, is the certifed prius technician at the local toyota dealer. he swapped over the cells into my case and did everything that comes along with swapping. unfortunately My father picked it up for me so i wasnt able to nit pick and ask the questions i wanted to. My dad said he "leveled" it i assume harmonizing it. My question is, typically how long before you start seeing the battery get into its groove and maximum operating output, or increase in MPG. before the battery i was typically getting 37 but attribute that to a dying battery and the fact i have a heavy foot and do most highway driving. Ive seen it back up to 40 but again doing highway driving hasnt really given me accurate-ish numbers. On top of that my combination meter went out last night, so i unplugged the white cord at the 12v let it sit and turned it back on and its working again but says i have no gas and my trip odos and numbers on the mfd reset. From what ive gathered, possibly 3-4 tanks before everything starts getting better?

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I swap batteries out in my car very frequently. I always disconnect the negative lead from the 12v battery before beginning any work. I've never had to wait for the car to 'get better' after an installation. I do understand that certain parameters of the engine will return to default settings and then 'relearn' as you drive, but I wouldn't expect (nor have I experienced) any significant amount of time like 3 tanks of gas. I would expect it to be quick, like <100 miles.

I usually take my car for a 47 mile round trip test drive after swapping a battery. Mine is also a 2007, those trips are normally 48-51 mpg with a fresh battery. 23.5 miles each way to a industrial parking lot and back to my driveway. Same route every time.

When 12v is lost, the fuel gauge defaults to one dot, but quickly (usually just a minute or two) recalibrates itself and will indicate true tank level, or at least what a normal prius thinks is true level.

SFO likes this.
  3. webbster1216

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep it came back. But we’re you taking about the high voltage battery or 12c replacement?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what mpg's were you getting before the old battery started going south, and how many miles on your car?

5. webbster1216

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’d say 37 or so for a couple months and 232,000 at the moment. Invertor pump and abs pump replaced.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TMR-JWAP will have been talking about HV battery replacement. He works with HV batteries all the time.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i mean before the mpg's started dropping off. with that many miles, i suppose there could be many culprits, and it would take some major testing of the battery to determine health.

8. webbster1216

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    of course, i opened a can of worms with this thread, my 07 burns oil too which is common, i was gonna try to run a 10-30 as opposed to 5-30 to see if it woud help. im sure the battery is fine as it was a toyota prius mechanic who did everything i just wanted to know exactly how long i should expect to see increase in mileage from my original 37-38 regardless of the other variables.... more so whats the norm on a new battery

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just baseline the car. Find a nice long straight flat stretch of highway get the car up to 60 miles an hour turn off the ac and the radio and the lights and keep windows up and engage cruise control. Zero out consumption meter on the mfd by hitting reset. Go 4 miles. Car should show at least 52 mpgs at the end of 4 or 5 miles On the consumption meter.

If not replace the inverter fluid and get an oil change use full synthetic. Tires at 38 lbs all around. Tires could be shot.

My car at 120k miles gets 55 mpgs in that test and I run non LRR tires at 36 lbs. I do run some very slick high quality oil at 10-30 buts it’s actually a 40 weight oil at operating temp. It has stopped my very minor oil loss.

#9 edthefox5, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    s1flaherty likes this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    10-30 means it’s a 10 weight oil until it reaches operating temp. So it’s actually thicker than a 0 weight until it’s warmed up if that’s what your after.

If your car is starting to really eat oil run a 40 weight oil like a 10-40.

11. GreenPriusGuy

GreenPriusGuy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You should do some tests on your engine. If it's burning oil (particularly a large amount of oil) then it could be getting tired and just not working very efficiently any more. Worn rings or valve guides usually. My old Honda did it too (like, clouds at high RPM), but seemed to make similar power to the other Civics I had with the same engine. It was a d16y7 bottom end with a d16y8 head.

Figure out how to check compression too. I'm not sure how on these cars as you can't just crank the engine to tell with the test tool. It would help you figure out if you have a cylinder down on compression indicating that a valve isn't seating or worse.

Running thicker oil like edthefox5 said may alleviate the problem, but it's obviously not the optimal solution. Your gas mileage will suffer to an extent from that too.

Burning oil is a big flag that says, "Things are worn." You may just see poor gas mileage until an engine rebuild.

12. s1flaherty

s1flaherty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    The traction battery in my Gen 3 Prius was just replaced and my mileage went way down. I read your reply here, tried your suggestion, and now my mileage is above what it was before the battery had to be replaced. Thank you so much!

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Excellent glad I could help!