1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When should you turn down a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Lane, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Lane

Lane New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We just got the call to come down and pick up the Prius that we've been waiting about three months for. Assuming it's the color and package we wanted, what kind of things should we look for that might cause us to pass on this car and wait for the next one? Anyone know of recurring problems with the 06's that we should look for? We're excited to pick it up but didn't want to rush off in the emotion of the moment and overlook things that we might not want to accept.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your inputs. Lane

2. Thomas Brock

Thomas Brock New Member

The easy items like color and package aren't an issue, since you said those are what you wanted...

The big things to check for me were the details...Dealership put on a sports-stripe accent down the side...Make sure that both stripes are clean and look good. Make sure there's no scratches, dents, dings...Check the alignment of the vehicle. I had the dealership take off the advertisements (not giving them free press!!) Make sure that you get a full tank and that the car is clean. I don't think that there are any issues with the 06 that you should check for...(at least I hope not!)

Hope this helps!

3. LoveBeingGreen

LoveBeingGreen New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't call waiting three months "rushing off in the emotion of the moment." If you have been on the list that long, it seems like you definitely want the car. If you were going to buy the car anyway, and it is the color and package you want, why not accept it? Unless it has physical damage or the test drive doesn't go smoothly, go for it!

I was told three months also when we got ourselves on the waiting list. Then I had a crisis of oh-my-gosh-what-color-do-i-really-want. I put us down for white, black, silver, and gray (not out yet), package 7 or 8, and sat back to see what the universe had in store for us. My white package 8 came in ***3 weeks later***, and was passed on by someone else. It is perfect and I love it! :D :D :D

4. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Look at the driver doorpost - make sure manufacture date is 0106 or later. Some 2006 Prii manufactured in 1105 and 1205 have poor voice recognition for audio navigation and have a tough time with bluetooth phones. Toyota did a software change for 0106 manufactured vehicles and these things work better. Of course, not an issue if you don't have a package with these items.

5. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

Several things- and I don;t have a Prius so some may not be applicable. First take of fthe blinders. This is your only chance to notice some things.... Make sure you pick it up in daylight or have look at it under good lighting - not the parking lot lights.. Look for the things that need fixing - scratches and paint imperfections... After you take delivery is may be hard to claim they were there before..

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wind down the windows and check for chips (seriously, our Camry's driver's window was chipped but it was hidden when the window's up)

Check the lights

Check the seats

Check paint

7. PriVusLY

PriVusLY Junior Member

Thanks for the heads-up on a possible bluetooth issue, especially since our doorpost says 1205!

Please provide more details.

When you say "tough time with bluetooth phones", what are the exact symptoms?

Regarding the Toyota software change. What software did they change? What are the version numbers for both the software that has the problem, and the upgrade? Do you know if a particular TSB has been issued, and what the number is?

8. cdavid

cdavid Member

Agree with above, check paint in daylight. We got an 06 Sienna, picked it up at night after working 12 hours. When I was detailing the exterior the following weekend, noticed a large paint defect (was smooth, but the artic frost pearl had a grey streak) that I didn't notice in the subdued light. There was also a paint chip on a door edge with the metal exposed.

9. ajrowell

ajrowell New Member

Just take the car that came in. If you continue to be picky you will not, and perhaps should not receive a Prius. If you are picky then go to the dealership and pick the color you want, the interior you want, the packages you want, and so forth of one of the 800 SUV's on the lot. The demand for the Prius is ultra-high right now and given the production of the Camry Hybrid, the Prius production will have to be scaled back. To keep the economics simple, demand up, supply down. Therefore there will be tons of people willing to pay a premium (over MSRP) for a Prius, and not care what color or options it has. Think about that, before you continue to be picky about a car that is soon to be nearly impossible to get in any color.

10. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

...and make sure it's not a "Katrina Car"....haa!!! :D

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A