1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When the Touring suspension is fully extended...?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macmaster05, Nov 28, 2010.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does the rear Touring suspension drop differently than the base model when fully extended (such as jacked up on a lift?). I put in lowering springs this weekend and when it was on the lift, there was about 1/2" of "play" between the springs and perch. The reason for this is vexing me, unless the length of the Touring and non-touring struts are actually different...

Thanks.

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There should not be play.How much did you lower it? H

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The rear dropped .7" and it was exactly as H&R advertised, though I expect it to settle more over a few more weeks.

I'm not concerned about the play. I've googled the issue and seems somewhat common sometimes. The weight of the car is on the springs. I just have to make sure it remains seated after I lower it from a Jack or lift.

I just wanna know why there was play.

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You could install straps in there so the springs stay seated when you lift the car. Probably not a problem thou. H

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I called H&R today and they assured me it's normal for some of their springs to not be captive between the perches when suspension is at full droop.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :eek:

I don't know about that, sounds like they are patting you on the head and transforming a "defect" into a "feature". It doesn't seem safe to have a situation where the springs can come out of alignment with their seats.

An alternate design would have a slightly longer spring to take up that play, using a slightly smaller diameter rod to fabricate the spring so that the spring would compress more under a given weight, thus providing the desired body drop.

7. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the input and concern, Patrick. Although, I don't see a 1/2" gap as a safety hazard, so it really does not worry me at all:

1. I have not experienced any issues under normal or even bumpy driving conditions
    2. I would have to be going airborne for at least 100 feet for the rear springs to even start to wiggle
    3. Even in the rare event the springs became unseated on a jack lift, there’s only one orientation they can go so they’ll *plop* back in after a little driving.
    4. Topping out is just as bad as bottoming out the shocks, but seems much less likely (exception is speed bumps)
    5. I'll take H&Rs word. They're the spring experts, and I trust they've encountered this before. I believe in the good nature at others, particularly when it's convenient for me, haha. And if they are lying to me, well karma is a b****.

I'm not trying to make excuses or show complacency but I've talked with my mechanic, H&R, and read several random forums. Of everyone who had this "issue," nobody ever came back to say it was a problem or that put them and others in danger, or that the springs even became unseated.