1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When to change egine air filter / tire rotation?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mdreinders, Apr 11, 2009.

1. mdreinders

mdreinders Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Have an '08 Touring Package 6 and am just checking on opinions on when to change engine air filter and tire rotation? Have misplaced my manual, so not sure on intervals.

Some have said have engine air filter changed at 15K or 30K or longer.

Plus, is the tire rotation recommended every 10K or ??

Thanks for the info!

Michael R.

P.S. LOVE my Prius, by the way!

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's safer not to rotate the tires. The front pair will wear out first. When they do, move the rear wheels with the old tires to the front and put a new pair at the rear. This way there are always relatively unworn tires at the rear, which minimizes the chances of fishtailing.

Change the filter when it's dirty :_> Seriously, buy another copy of the Scheduled Maintenance Guide (which contains the service intervals) and the Owner's Manual (which contains a bunch of other stuff you need to know). They will save you bother and money.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Engine air filter: I change it at 15K mile intervals. When you hold the filter up to sunlight and cannot see light passing through, the filter should be replaced. The interval frequency depends upon the air quality in your area.

Tire rotation: Do you prefer to buy 4 tires at once or 2 tires at a time (at more frequent intervals)? If the former, then rotate. If the latter, then don't rotate. If you want tire rotation but have to pay for it, then I suggest you rotate after the first 5K miles, then move to 10K mile intervals.

4. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Scheduled maintenance guide for 07 (probably identical to 08) says:

Check Air Filter at 15k miles; Replace Air Filter at 30k miles

Recommended Rotation interval is the same as the Oil Change interval, 5k miles.

BTW, I replaced Air Filter at 15k, and I won't rotate tires again until I wear out the OEMs on the front (I had to replace an unrepairable tire at 15k so I put a set of new tires on the rear). YMMV.