1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When to do 1st oil change?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bshef, Apr 21, 2005.

1. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And did everyone immediately go to Synthetic?
    I just passed 1k miles.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    we are at about 1020 miles, my husband just brought it in to work with him today to change the oil and switch to castrol synthetic.

he said it was a good time and he's the mechanic, not me. i guess it's related to initial engine wear-in.

i don't know about anyone else.

3. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed out my oil at 2,400 with Mobil1. Even if I don't see any huge benefit to using a better grade of oil, I will certainly enjoy knowing that it is better lubricated than with dino oil. I also do not use Toyota filters, not that they are bad, but I went to Purolator PureOne. I like Purolator's products.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :idea: I just changed from dino oil to Mobil 1 5W-30 at 9906 miles. (ICE should be well "broken in" by now.) Actually, I bought my Prius used with the 5,000 mile service already performed, so this is the first opportunity I had to change to synthetic. I haven't had enough use to observe any mpg advantages. One thing I did was to go to my long-time independent mechanic and had him change the filter and put 3.5 qts. in to avoid overfilling. Brought the dipstick to just below the "full" dimple. Now I'll see whether synthetic changes tne mpg.

Enjoy your "fresh, new" Prius !!

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did a regular oil change at 5,000mi. Sorry, could someone explain why synthetic is better? other than the fact it's not real oil.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Slipperier and more stable.

7. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Slipperier and more stable may be important in a high performance car but not in a 76 hp, 5000 max rpm engine that never overheats. This has been discussed at length here and in Priusonline, and no one has been able to show any real advantage to synthetic oil. My theory is that people use synthetic because they identify with the car as if it were a person. Same reason why some people use premium gas.

8. propking

propking New Member

Our dealership here is paying for our first four oil changes and they have scheduled for the Prius to come in at 1500 miles and 5000 there after. When I start changing my own oil I will be using Synthetic oil.

9. popoff

popoff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt\";p=\"83274)</div>
    As a chemist and former lubricant salesperson, it defies my understanding as to the perceived need for synthetic oil in an engine that requires 5,000 mile oil changes to keep the warranty in effect.

Todays' dino oils are so well stabilized and fortified that it would be difficult to envision getting any benefit from synthetic oil unless there were drastic temperature extremes involved.

Has anyone done a cost analysis showing what the fuel savings using synthetic oil vs dino oil? I have to think the much higher cost of the synthetic would more than cancel out any savings on the cost of fuel.

10. propking

propking New Member

Synthetic is just a personal touch. I do alot of aircraft maintenance and deal with a variety of synthetics. I just like carrying over what I know works. Besides our temps range from 10 degrees to 115 degrees. Sometimes you can wear a coat in the morning and be in shorts and a t-shirt in the evening.

11. mtc1234

mtc1234 New Member

I haven't looked into it yet, but the question that crosses my mind is environmental impact. The prius is a low emissions vehicle. If using synthetic versus dino had any positives with respect to the environment, then I'd use it just to be consistent.

12. DanP

DanP Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jamarimutt\";p=\"83274)</div>
    Yep. I think you've nailed _my_ "reasoning" behind using synthetic. It's similar to a parent who buys expensive shoes for a baby who cannot walk. You buy the best not because your baby needs it, but simply because it's your baby. As an inconistent parent, however, I have not yet used premium gas.

13. DanP

DanP Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mtc1234\";p=\"83359)</div>
    Has anyone followed synthetic oil and natural oil through their respective manufacturing processes to see which product consumes the least amount of oil?

14. popoff

popoff New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(propking\";p=\"83291)</div>
    Aeroshell used to be king of the roost when I used to fly Comanches, Arrows, and Mooneys back in the 70s and 80s. Synthetics were new and not TSOd yet. I guess things have changed since then.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The main advantage for synthetics - at least for me - is that they still flow in temps down to -40 or colder. A regular 5W-30 freezes at around -25 F, a good synthetic 0W-30 is good to -65 F or colder.

Given the short oil change intervals on our Prius, might as well stick with regular oil if you don't have to worry about -40.

Oddly enough, the Prius in Europe that run semi-synthetic or full synthetic have 16,000km / 10,000mi oil change intervals.

16. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Soooooooooooo

1500 miles?..........for the 1st change?

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Sorry I guess we got *way* off-topic back there.

My local Toyota dealer told me - in no uncertain terms - to wait the full recommended length for the first oil change. Here in Canada, 8,000km or approximately 5,000 miles.

Every Toyota dealer here will tell you the same thing, and they all claim it comes straight from Toyota Canada. This also applies to the Echo sedan, Echo Hatchback (Not available in the U.S.), Matrix, and Corolla.

If I press for details, they claim: due to the rings now used, it's better for seating the rings; helps keep oil consumption very low, and helps maximize fuel economy.

With over 16,000km on mine, and just had the second oil change, my fuel economy appears very good (Average 4.2 L/100km), and there is no oil consumption according to the stick.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mooney's are sweet, though it's hard to find one around here that isn't at or past TBO and in need of expensive work.

I don't think Shell markets a full synthetic for piston engine aircraft motors. They do have a semi-synthetic 15W-50 that is TSO'd and on the QPL's for Lycoming and Continental.

I'm not sure what you gain as it doesn't change the TBO any. Might as well stick with a good 100/120. A lot of folks still avoid modified 100's that contain detergents, as it tends to knock loose a lot of the crap and plug screens and filters.

Of course, the Turbo oils are synthetics, usually low viscosity esters.

19. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I can vouch that I've noted a marked MPG increase (from upper 40's/low 50's to consistent mid 50's) by switching to Synth.

I go w/ QuakerState 5w-30 when I can get it for <$4 qt.

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Rick:

That's very encouraging. I was planning on switching to Mobil 1 0W-30 in Oct or Nov to be ready for winter. Instead I may switch in May or June to see if I can increase the MPG like you did.

Jay