1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When to drive over 100MPH in a Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by fredmertz, Mar 20, 2006.

1. fredmertz

fredmertz New Member

I have noticed a few posters talking about Prius performance and driving skills. Now I know we don't expect the Prius to be a performance car, but I thought it might be fun and educational to have a Prius Track day to meet other Prius drivers and take the car around the track. The big benefit is the classroom and on track instruction you will get from semi-professional instructors.

A buddy of mine has been hosting a monthly track day at Willow Springs International Raceway (WSIR) near Edwards AFB in Southern California for years. Its a full day event starting with classroom instruction, in car instruction, along with lunch, T-shirt and a lot of fun.

He does it for the fun and for track time so the charge is not that much. It's $145 per person to cover for the tack fees, instructors, flagman, emergency crew, track administrator personnel, lunch and a shirt.

I have coordinated events like this for companies that want to have a charity events or just for driver education.

The events typically has three run groups, beginner, intermediate and advanced. Each run group will get (5) 30 minute run sessions totaling 2 1/2 hours of track time. For all newbies or people who want to attend, ther is classroom instruction followed by on-track instruction.

You can get more information at www.opentrackracing.com

If anyone is interested in an event like this please chime in. If I can get 45 people that are interested, I can get a track day setup.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Great idea I wish I was closer I would be in. One thing what would a day like that do to your Lifetime Average MPG? B)

3. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I would LOVE to do it... in Northern CA. Say Infineon Raceway? I'd be there in a heart-beat.

4. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I ran an 04 to 110mph, VERY SCARY! :eek: on the toll rd at 1am in the morning as we wanted to see what it could do, it read 110mph on the radar... Never again will I do over 85mph in a prius...!

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I was on the freeway a couple of weeks ago and found myself in the unusual situation of being in the left lane that was merging right a couple of miles down the road. Normally, I'm in the right lane already but a semi was tooling along in that lane already, doing 65 as I was (trucks are supposed to go 55 here but they routinely go 65). The semi was directly to my right. Several cars that had come up behind all moved directly behind the truck as soon as they could so I was in the position of either slowing way down (not recommended in freeway driving according to driver education class) or speed way up. I hit the gas and shot past all of them. I must have reached 85 briefly. I took my foot off the gas as soon as I was clear and moved in to the right lane and was driving my normal 65 by the time a couple of the other guys in cars caught up to me and sped past. I like to be able to see just how fast I can go now and then. Interestingly enough, my mileage didn't suffer at all.

6. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

I'm all for this, and $145 is a really good price. But I wonder how easy you can get 45 Prius owners with speed in mind for the track meet to be a reality. I live in Los Angeles, so this will be easy for me. Put me up as one "interested" driver.

Including the OP, only 43 more to go!

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If Southern California were a few thousand kilometres closer, I'd be there tomorrow. Let me know how it turns out, sorry I can't join you.