1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When to refill tank?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Starfall, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Starfall

Starfall New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was reading the Yahoo! Prius newsgroup that it was a good idea to refill the tank when it was 1/4 full. Here is the rationale from that newsgroup:

"The reason (NOT Prius-specific) is that the fuel in the tank serves to supply a
    portion of the cooling for the in-tank fuel pump. Let the average run lower,
    and the ultimate life of the pump is reduced. No, it won't fail immediately,
    but (again, with ANY last-two-decades car) if you consistently let the level run
    very low, you will be more likely to need a fuel pump somewhere around (or
    under) 100k. Keep the level above 1/4, and that pump life will likely more than
    double."

Since many people here are refilling at the "last pip," I was wondering if this information was true or not.

Any information/insight would be appreciated.

2. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

I have noticed a few reports recently suggesting that owners of 2006 Prii have ran out of gas with between one to two pips showing, but it does not seem to be an issue with pre-2006 Prii or with all 2006 Prii. I am waiting to see if there is clarification as the year goes on.

At the moment, I am watching my total miles traveled on a tank as well as the gauge and filling up if I have only one to two pips left and my miles traveled is greater than I normally am getting on a tank.

Good luck. :)

3. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lil Mo @ Sep 8 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]316702[/snapback]</div>
    Is it just me or is there some sort of irony at play here one of the most fuel-efficient vehicles on the road still runs out of gas?

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's only us folks in NA. They have no problems in other parts of the world because they don't have a bladder so, just like any other Toyota vehicle, a Low Fuel light means 10 litres left (I've checked this against my 02 Camry, 00 Corolla and a friend's 98 RAV4.. all refuelled at amt = (tank capacity - 10 litres) at the low fuel light)

5. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Sep 8 2006, 06:02 PM) [snapback]316720[/snapback]</div>
    The irony is that some drivers still think they can calculate fuel remaining by using MPG, miles driven and tank capacity.

Many of us realize that is futile and since the fuel gauge is less than precise we fill up on 1 or 2 pips and never run out of fuel.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Refill before you run out. :p I refill somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 tank.

Tom

7. kDB

kDB New Member

actually, it's not that it helps cool the fuel pump, it lubricates it. kinda like running an ICE without oil, it will run for a while without it, but eventually it will lock up.

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kDB @ Sep 9 2006, 08:02 AM) [snapback]316899[/snapback]</div>
    That's only an issue if you run it dry, in which case you have bigger issues, such as a dead car on the side of the road. I think the other posters were really talking about thermal cooling, where the fuel is used to carry heat away from a submersible pump. The fuel surrounding the pump is a better conductor of heat than the air in an empty tank, or in the case of a NA Prius, the rubber bladder.

Tom