1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When to sell Gen II and upgrade?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sunfire4jc, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Sunfire4jc

Sunfire4jc New Member

Hello All,

I have a 2006 Prius, and just wanted to reach out to the community to see how long I should keep the Gen II before upgrading.

I currently have 127K miles on it - been following factory recommended maintenance, replaced tires at 90K miles, and have had the recall maintenance done on the car (water pump and accelerator pedal).

I don't have any complaints about the car, but was wondering at what point should I sell and upgrade, or do I just drive this thing to the ground?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance for your time and efforts.

Cheers,

Stephen

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you should keep driving the car until it has a major failure: transaxle, inverter, or traction battery as examples. Then, if you can DIY repair it at a reasonable cost, do so.

If not, tow it to a salvage yard, turn over the title, and be done with it.

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The best time to sell would have been right before the 2010s came out, but that was awhile ago now. ;)

It sounds like it's in good shape and you're keeping up with the maintenance, so your current car should serve you well for a long time. It's cheaper to just keep driving it until, as Patrick says, something majorly expensive happens.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The days of "sell at 100k, because major repairs are coming your way any day now" do not exist for this car.

Do keep up with maintenance though.
    If you wanted to be paranoid you could send off the engine and transmission oils for analysis.

5. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Consumer Reports prefers the Gen II over the Gen III, so I agree with Patrick. Keep driving it.

6. UGC

UGC Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The way the thought process works is simple;

What you really want to do in your heart (emotions), your brain will try to come up with facts to support it.

Just you asking this question tells me you have been thinking of getting a new car (emotion), but know deep down inside (logic), it really isn't the best move.

uhmmm....which one will win? ...the HEART? or the BRAIN?

Keep us posted. (if your heart wins, and you want to sell your 06, let me know)..lol

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i've been wondering the same thing myself since the gen III's came out. what were your thoughts and feelings after the test drive?

8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Buy a Gen III now and sell the II in a month to get the most $$ for it. If you can't own both, sell the II now.

9. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'm in the "drive it into the ground" camp.

10. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Point to ponder from a conservation point of view. If we buy the Prius to save energy and to avoid the consequences of its overuse, but buy a new car every 4 years instead of 7 or 10, are we really sacrificing anything for a greater good?

Then again, maybe we just do it to save dough on gas.

In any case, I say drive it till it dies :)

11. jklhill

jklhill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :thumb:

12. jklhill

jklhill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :first:

13. M8s

M8s Retired and Lovin' It

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I want my cars to last (virtually) forever. Here's why.

A. The primary purpose of any car is to get you from point A to point B. Does your present Prius do that? If so, what do you gain, really, from buying a new car?
    B. Despite the foregoing, there are a few good, quantifiable reasons to get a new vehicle. Like $6 gas and a need for better fuel economy. Going fom a Suburban to a Prius is a huge improvement in fuel economy. Going from a Prius II to a Prius III would be a negligible improvement.
    C. Is your present Prius worth an investment in preventive maintenance? Would $500 invested for transmission, inverter, radiator, wheel alignment and other service every 60k miles give you the peace of mind that a new vehicle would give you?
    D. Think of the savings you get from driving an older car. Lower license and registration fees, lower insurance, no car payments, etc. With proper maintenance you could save that money for another 5 or 6 years.
    E. When you see someone in a new Prius, think what it would feel like to make a $300 payment every month and a pay a large annual registratin fee each year - just to get from point A to point B. Imagine that, when they look over at you, they're probably envious that your Prius does everything theirs does at minimal cost. That's the real satisfaction of driving a pristine older car, for me at least.

If you keep reminding yourself of A, D and E, you'll (almost) never get another car. Hope this helps.

14. jrrjr

jrrjr New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2006 and will keep it until it's no longer economical to do so.

15. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've heard it put another way... Homo Sapiens isn't the rational animal... we're the rationalizing animal.

If it were me I'd drive it 'til I couldn't anymore. When that is depends on lots of things including how important reliability is for you.

Since I almost only buy used cars (although I bought the prius new) my wish would be that when I'm ready for my next prius that there's someone like you that has a low mileage well maintained prius that wants something new and will sell me their something-not-so-new for a good price.:D

16. Sunfire4jc

Sunfire4jc New Member

I wasn't particularly super impressed with the Gen III. Best thing i could relate it to was when my boss went to go test drive the iPad2.

17. Sunfire4jc

Sunfire4jc New Member

After more thought - and reading the posts from everyone - i'll continue to keep the car. It's REALLY hard not to have the new car itch esp when all your coworkers have gotten new cars in the past 6 months (and i kid you not...)

I'll just wait for the day when some major repair puts it out of commission before buying a new one.

Thanks again all!

Cheers - happy friday!

18. Sunfire4jc

Sunfire4jc New Member

You think 127 K miles is low mileage? I put on about 25-30K miles a year!

19. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you can afford it, get yourself a new car. GEEEZZZ Life is too short. Don't you deserve it?

20. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I have read all of Consumer Reports reviews of the Gen III and I cannot locate the review that prefers Gen II over Gen III. Maybe I missed it. What issue was it in? I also subscribe to their online reviews and cannot locate it there either. :confused: