1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When to service-time or mileage?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bogeybob513, Mar 1, 2014.

1. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a 2006 Prius that has 27,000 miles on it. I have maintained it according to the maintenance schedule, but now I am running into the time/mileage problem.

Just when does time rule over mileage? I know what Toyota will say, but what is the practical solution?

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    It is a "which ever comes first" schedule.

In general, if you drive a LOT, service will be based on mileage.
    If you do not drive a lot, then it will be based on time.

3. vskid3

vskid3 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    With your car barely averaging 3k miles a year, definitely go with time. There are plenty of things, like oil, that degrade over time. Air filters should be good for the mileage schedule (is there even a time for them?) as they only get used when the car is in use.

bogeybob513 likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i always change tho oil and filter once a year, minimum. most things are mileage related, not time. some may recommend other fluids like brake or coolant and rubber parts like serpantyne belt which may degrade over time. i had a miata for 15 years and 24,000 miles, never did anything but oil and tyre rotations. it was like brand new when i sold it, and a great deal for the buyer since the resale is based more on age than miles. you probably want to keep an eye on your 12v. all the best!(y)

bogeybob513 likes this.
  5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree that with regards to a low miles vehicle, the engine oil/oil filter should be changed at least annually, to get accumulated water vapor out of the crankcase. The 12V battery should be periodically charged (monthly at least) to keep it in good condition. Besides those considerations, the odometer reading can be used as a gauge regarding when to perform the other maintenance.

bogeybob513 likes this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would change the transmission fluid also as it tends to get acidic over time if it sits for long periods of time. Thats especially bad for this particular vehicle considering the electric motor windings are exposed to that fluid. Its very cheap insurance.

I would send out a sample to get it analyzed and see how acidic it really is. We would appreciate it and add it to our knowledge base under the top of the page yellow sticky area under

Transaxle oil analysis

I use Wearcheck.com as they include a TAN (acid) and TBN (alkalinity). Both come into play when an oil has been in service too long. $25.

About Oil Analysis » Wear Check International - The Oil Speaks…We Listen…You Save

bogeybob513 likes this.