1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When turning off the car why do we have to hid the 'park' button?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by burritos, Jun 13, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you hit the power buttton, doesn't it automatically go into park first? Also what happens when you accidentally hit the power button if you're in the middle of driving?

2. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 13 2006, 08:44 PM) [snapback]270932[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, that is correct. Normally, I advise people not to rely on automatic conveniences, but in the case of the Prius since all shifting is basically software, I don't see a problem in relying on the power switch to engage park. Plus, it always indicates a shift to Park briefly on the fluorescent display just as you power down.

No one has ever lived to tell! (Just kidding)

From what I've read, you have to press and hold "power" for several seconds, and like in a normal car you can still steer and use non-power-assisted brakes.

I once heard a tale from a relative of mine who was driving a person who didn't like his driving abilities and yanked the key in protest, just as he had accelerated to make a left turn onto a busy street... needless to say, that passenger never rode in the front seat again. The point of this story? All cars have potential hazards from unintentional operation of the controls, and the Prius is no different.

- Bob R.

3. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 13 2006, 08:44 PM) [snapback]270932[/snapback]</div>
    I think I've heard that it beeps at you and goes into neutral.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pressing POWER, shifting to reverse and all that other "what happens if?" will result in a double beep and the car shifting to neutral. Talk about intelligence. Do that on a normal car and you'll have the car off with no power steering or brakes or you'll bust the gears in the transmission.

5. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Well, so you can stop the car, take it out of "gear" without turning it off. Or just so you have time to roll up the windows.

You know, don't cops tell you to turn off your car when you get pulled over? How does he/she tell with a Prius with its headlights off and the dimmer down?

6. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I always press the Park button. I think it's a good habit. Many times, when I park, I don't immediately get out of the car. I may be listening to the radio; I may want to stare at the MFD; I may want to keep the A/C going. I don't want to accidentally remove my foot from the brake and move forward.

What's the big deal, anyway? In the manual transmission car I just stopped driving, I always put it in neutral. When I drive my wife's automatic van, I put it in Park.

The Prius does so much for us automatically. Why are people always complaining about the few things we still have to do manually?

7. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jun 14 2006, 12:09 AM) [snapback]270952[/snapback]</div>
    haha... this happened to me. When I come back from Canada before crossing the US/Canadian border, the customs officer asked me to put the car in park, give him the keys and he would like to inspect the trunk. So I did exactly what he told me, but thinking, “I could still drive away you know.â€

8. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoVaSnow @ Jun 14 2006, 07:48 AM) [snapback]271094[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think anyone was complaining that we have to do anything manually in a Prius... I interpreted the original post as a question as to whether or not it was unwise to rely on the automatic park-engage-on-power-off feature.

- Bob R.

9. NoVaSnow

NoVaSnow Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Jun 14 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]271124[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry about that. I was interpreting the original post as a complaint. Doesn't apply here, but I still wonder about other complaints I've seen (cruise control losing memory below 35 mph, no automatic headlights).

10. bobr1

bobr1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoVaSnow @ Jun 14 2006, 08:37 AM) [snapback]271125[/snapback]</div>
    Well, that aspect of the Prius cruise control system is annoying. Even my old Dodge Neon had a cruise control that could remember what setting you used. And I've driven other cars with similar limits on when cruise could be engaged, but once engaged you were free to accel/decel outside those limits.

Automatic headlights, however, are a tool of the devil. I remember when they first started to become common... I used to politely tell people in parking lots that they had left their lights on (a common accident in rainy Oregon) and received polite thanks, but more and more I would receive an angry admonishment of "They turn off automatically!" from someone who had clearly been told their headlights were on a few too many times. Now I just don't bother.

- Bob R.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobr1 @ Jun 14 2006, 11:47 AM) [snapback]271134[/snapback]</div>
    My 1994 Ford Aerostar has automatic headlights. It was pretty common for people to tell me I had left the lights on. Sometimes I would say "Thanks. It's okay, they turn off automatically when the battery runs down." ;)

Tom

12. etkal

etkal New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 13 2006, 11:44 PM) [snapback]270932[/snapback]</div>
    My 2006 automatically goes into park when you power off (you see the Park button light before it actually shuts off).

13. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoVaSnow @ Jun 14 2006, 09:48 AM) [snapback]271094[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think anyone is complaining as much as just trying to learn what is best for the car...

14. Lil Mo

Lil Mo New Member

Hi: when I stopped (to park) and turned off the power before hitting the part button (my bad - not intentional), the next time I started up, my 2006 was very angry. It kept beeping and flashing a large red icon on the dash. I apologized, hit park and powered down. I apologized again, started up and the car was happy. Therefore, i recommend hitting park before turning off the power button.

15. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

You can press the power button without pressing park first, it'll do no harm. However, if you do this, it's a good idea to hold down the power button until the car actually turns off. A quick press of the power button may not turn the car off, and you may open the door and start getting out, and the car will roll forward...

16. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    If you are driving down the road and you hit the Power button and then take your finger right off of it nothing happens. If you hold it in for about two seconds it will disconnect the hybrid system, the car will go to neutral, you will have manual steering and the brakes will still work. There should be enough vacuum in the brake booster for at least one stop but if there isn't you will just have to push harder, no problem.

After the car stops you can restart it and drive on.