1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When we run out of gas (split from Oct. Mileage)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by roger, Oct 11, 2004.

1. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: October MPG Averages

Well, I'll probably get about 10L/100km or about 23 miles per gallon because I just floor it everywhere! I don't care what the milage is; if I was that worried about how much I spend on fuel, then I wouldn't have been able to afford the prius with the itech pack in the first place.

I just got it cos it has a touch screen. the rest is a bonus.

Why does everyone obsess over how much milage they get, to the point of having web pages devoted to tracking it? come on - thats just weird. If you cant afford to buy fuel then ride a bike! - unless you're all broke from buying it? I do not know.. just seems a little strange to me.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Who said anything about being able to 'afford' the gas?? That has very little to do with it. Reducing dependence upon foreign oil. Reducing polution. Driving farther on a tank of gas. Not being wasteful of a finite resource. I think those might be good reasons to not just burn up gas.

BTW, I hope you're being farcical about the touch screen.

3. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

yeh, well those are other reasons, but certainly not mine. I think the environment is doomed anyhow, regarless of what we do, so any attempt is futile, and no, I wasnt being farcical, I mean it. I saw the car featured on a show, and as soon as I saw the touch screen, I thought HAH! I gotta have one of those!

things I like and the reason I bought it:

touch screen
    touch door handles
    sat nav
    'stealth mode'

and just how different it is. me = different! :)

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

I guess we can be glad you didn't get an H2 and floor it everywhere getting maybe 4 mpg. We can run out of oil sooner or later, but later is better. It isn't about how much YOU can afford to spend, it is about how much WE can NOT afford to waste. One need not be a tree spiking environmentalist to do their part for the overall good. One guy in an H2 isn't going to destroy the world, nor is 1 guy in a Prius (getting 50, not 23 mpg) going to save it. But each adds to others of his ilk. Saying "its falling apart, might as well kick it some more" will only make it harder, if not impossible to repair.

5. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    why?

6. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Because unless you want to go walkabout with the crocks (or maybe the trolls), you don't want to see what your life would be like without fuel.

7. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

yeh I do, I'm sure it would be better..

The sooner we use other methods the sooner the environment will recover, if it can.

8. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Re: October MPG Averages was the Topic

I haven't filled up this month yet, but can this topic be made sticky like the ones for August and September?

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

Over the long term, yes roger - the sooner we run out, the less damage to the environment.

But let me tell you what I imagine would happen if we ran out of oil say, tomorrow.

I think many, many people would be killed. We as a country would have *NO* way to transport goods, so say goodbye to food and water. It would become a world of those with guns and those without. Our world could live without oil in the short term just as much as we could live without water.

Hence, just one of many reasons to show that with the Prius, we can go further, reduce consumption, reduce emissions, and push the car to the limits. You may drive just the same, and that's fine for you. Me, I now look forward to driving, I don't get road rage anymore - which is good for someone who has loaded guns in the car and has a history of depression problems! - and not only that, I'm consuming less. The simple fact exists that if Americans (I know you're Australian) all drove Prius', we would have no need to be killing Iraqis or letting Saudis destroy our buildings. But, if we're not prepaired as a world to survive without oil, we will, I promise you, have a bloody horrific global revolution on our hands.

-m.

10. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    TROLL

11. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In far too many sectors, we substitute oil for knowledge. Want to double your profit?! Then double your efficiency. Air quality is a major concern worldwide. Blowing partially-combusted dinosaurs out a tail pipe for short-term velocity only indicates the operator lacks long-term knowledge, skills and abilities - as oil becomes more expensive (in shorter supply), ostentatious consumption becomes a clear sign of major ignorance.

Prius offers a major constructive alternative for providing cost-effective transportion in nice style, without trying to emulate the fuel efficiency of a H2 or aircraft carrier. Double your profit by doubling your efficiency - operate a true hybrid vehicle for your needs.

The added benefit of better air quality tries to avoid "tragedy of the commons" (where everyone derives benefits, but no one has responsibility). Driving a Prius is a statement of responsibility - personal and public. Many popular songs describe how a person "made so much money I could have bought Miami . . . . but I only pissed it away. I was walking down a hallway at Marsh McClenan (largest brokerage firm in the world) in London and noticed a large sign on the wall: "Please God, just give me one more soft market, and I promise I won't piss it all away this time." Obviously reflective of limited, nonsustainable, short-term thinking.

It's not just fuel economy, but also air quality and sustainability.

12. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point rflagg and I agree with you 100%
    I hadn't thought of it like that...

13. roger

roger New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Victor, Asking why to a point is not being a troll.

Disagreeing or having a different opinion or thought is not being a troll. Why do people latch onto this new word and try to use it when ever they can as soon as someone says something that isn't in agreeance with someone else? do you think you're cool because you are using a new internet word?

A troll is a post or person solely intended or intending to incite controversy or conflict or cause annoyance or offense

How dare you just come on and accuse me of doing that? you don't know me. That's as bad as posting the word "LIAR" or any other lable.

I am very offended.