1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When will we see the 2007 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by lkmcookie, Apr 27, 2006.

1. lkmcookie

lkmcookie New Member

I've decided to get a Prius, but am torn whether or not to hold out for an '07. I know 2006s came out very late in the year. The dealer I spoke to is unsure when we'll see the 2007s. I can wait a few months, but am too impatient - and worried about manufacturing shortages due to current fuel prices and the camry production - to wait til Nov/Dec.

Anyone here have any ideas, insight or advice? Thanks!

2. j24816

j24816 New Member

A consideration is the tax credit. If $3150 is important to you consider that there is currently a 60,000 limit on the number of full credits for each manufacturer (Toyota will probably be the first to reach this limit). After 60K limit is reached there will be a reduction in credit amount, I am not sure how much, nor am I sure when it will go to zero. Our president, as part of his carefully considered energy policy, recently suggested he favored keeping the credit through 2006 regardless of number of cars sold, but who knows if that will actually happen (or how it will be paid for, but thats another story).

If the tax credit is not a consideration, there is no right or wrong answer, and you really can't lose......but I am growing quite fond of my 2006!

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lkmcookie @ Apr 27 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]246300[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure why you would wait, unless there are personal factors (such as your finances, etc.). With the tax credit for Toyota likely to expire in '06, gas at $3+ per gallon and rising, and likely no significant '07 changes to the Prius ('06 was a refresh and I doubt there will be another - at least until they release the 3rd generation in '08 or '09), I don't see any rational reason to put it off. Unless again there are personal factors holding you back.

4. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My advice: Buy now, start saving money on gas now. Beat the rush!

5. PriusDad

PriusDad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lkmcookie @ Apr 27 2006, 02:40 PM) [snapback]246300[/snapback]</div>
    Nah, this is a PRIUS chat forum... we don't got no stinkin' 'Insights'! :p

P.

6. lkmcookie

lkmcookie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusDad @ Apr 27 2006, 08:41 PM) [snapback]246520[/snapback]</div>
    bwahahaha :D

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm nearing the end of my student loan, so the prius shall be mine sometime this summer! In the meantime, I'll live vicariously through priuschat.

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    New car models are usually released near the end of the previous year. October or November would be a reasonable guess.

I ordered my '04 in November of 2003, and took delivery in January of '04. I considered waiting a year. People say, "Don't buy the first year of a model." But I decided that would mean living without my dream car for an entire year. And in retrospect, probably would have meant waiting a lot longer for it.

Don't worry about when the '07 will come out. Buy the car when you can afford it. (And if that means saving up for 5 years, do that. I would never borrow money to buy a car. If you can't pay cash for a new Prius, buy a used Civic instead. Or a used Gen-1 Prius if you can find one at a good price.)

8. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There won't .be any major changes foy 2007 so buy it as soon as you can. Or if you can wait till 2009 ......... cool crap is coming

9. ohgreys

ohgreys New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lkmcookie @ Apr 28 2006, 05:18 AM) [snapback]246544[/snapback]</div>
    If you can afford the (possible) deposit now, you might want to order it now. That way you may be able to take ownership while the credit is still at its highest level.

10. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Like any other hi-tech gadget, and face it, the Prius is just that. The newer later model will always be better. But how long do you wait? Just go for it. You won't be sorry. The more gas goes up, the more you save, and you're at the mercy of our whimsical government on tax refunds, HOV usage, etc. Get it now. If you really like the 07, trade up, you won't lose much on the 06. Somebody will always want to buy it as the gas continues to go up.