1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When you wash your Prius do you.......

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dr. Katherine Nell McNeil, Jan 19, 2014.

?
  1. Only before I sell the car.

8.1%
  2. Once a year...maybe.

48.6%
  3. If I knew how to pop the hood.

8.1%
  4. Religiously, every time I wash the car.

35.1%
  1. Dr. Katherine Nell McNeil

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just was wondering if I am weird or maybe there are others like me. But I was taught that when you wash your car to ALWAYS wipe down the door jams, open the trunk lid and wipe that all down, AND open your hood AND wipe all expose painted areas under your hood and engine compartment. It shows pride of ownership. How many of you pop that hood and do this or an I just weird?

Attached Files:

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I do all except open the hood. I guess you're more anal then me haha. ;)

SCH-I535

3. Dr. Katherine Nell McNeil

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yup just what I thought...I am weird.

ou812 likes this.
  4. Reetz

Reetz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nope you are not weird. I do the same thing. All of my cars look brand new.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wipe all the door jams and door sills but I only do the hood once a year maybe. Actually yesterday after the wash, I vacuumed the engine compartment and wiped down the major parts (inverter and inverter clamp, the plastic leading edge, engine air filter cover, engine cover, fuse box cover, the caps of the two coolant reservoirs, washer fluid and brake fluid bottles and a few pipes and wires that I thought were easy to clean.) It's not spotless but it looks less dusty than before.

I clean the underbody between the wheels and the rear underbody plastic spoiler at least twice a year (and always after the Spring melt). My alloys are cleaned inside and out once a year before storage when I switch to winter tyres (otherwise, I only clean what I can access when they're on the car in the summer).

When I wax the car, I wax the areas such as the painted B-pillar (when you open the doors), the door sills and sometimes, the rear hatch drain .

6. Dr. Katherine Nell McNeil

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Tideland now I don't feel as bad. I wax the door jams and the door pillars too! I wax 4 times a year using Zaino. Wipe everything down every wash.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're just a bit weird! I have a friend that has to clean everything really well, might be a disorder. do you wash your hands a lot? lol

8. Dr. Katherine Nell McNeil

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Don't have the hand washing issue hehehe but definitely OCD.

9. JGC61

JGC61 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Do the jams , door edges and under the hood every time .

10. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Same here... Just waxed it yesterday, door jambs and all! When I wash it, I'll open the doors and hit the jambs with the sponge. Then (with doors closed) rinsing will clean it all out and save my towel from getting nasty. When I do the wheels I also use my wheel brush to do the wheel wells. When I dry it, it all gets dried, even in the gas door. A little over the top but takes little extra time and I've had cars that still looked great at upwards of 200k miles.

iPhone ?

11. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I do the door jams, and under the door edge. I have a black Prius, so I use extra caution on my my towels and products,

12. Fore

Fore Don't look back!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    YES! every time I wash my car. It use to work in my favor when I traded in my cars. This is the only vehicle I've owned where it didn't work in my favor. This car does not hold it's value at all. I traded in my 2007 Tacoma truck for this 2010 Prius and my truck has gone up in value to this day. My 2010 Prius has depreciated quite a bit I'm sad to say. I'm forced to hold on to it now, can't justify the $5k hit.

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I do the door jambs and under the door edges. I have not done the hood yet, in fact I have not really paid attention to the hood under side. You are going to make me check this:)

Yea, I am OCD too.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have to admit, while I take great pride in keeping my vehicles looking as good as possible as long as possible, I don't routinely wipe down unseen door jams and under the hood. If I could find the trunk on my Prius, I wouldn't wipe down that area either.

Part of this approach is born out of the fact that I don't have a garage, which means the vehicle is parked in the elements, and I live in a region blessed with copious amounts of rainfall. Cleaning these usually unseen area offers me little lasting advantage.

I do however, and always have, paid attention to how the engine compartment looks. The Prius engine compartment stays remarkable clean, but I do check it every month or so, and if I see an area looking dirty I carefully wipe down that area. I don't do anything too aggressive under the hood as their are a large amount of electronics and wires that I don't want to expose to unnecessary chemicals or high pressure spray. Luckily so far my experience with The Prius is that the engine compartment naturally stays amazingly clean with little maintenance needed.

So you've caught me. Most of the time, my vehicle will look great. But if you open a door and check the door jam? You'll find evidence that it's not just off the showroom floor.

I would say, about twice a year I do a "major" detailing including all those areas. But the rest of the year...nope.

I chose Once a Year...maybe...but the real answer for me is about twice a year for sure.

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. Dr. Katherine Nell McNeil

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Made you look! Sorry.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  17. OzPrius

OzPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep i clean all the jams first. I then wash the car and dry the car and jams. I also apply Wurth Rubber Conditioner to all rubber seals. No silicone here.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I do all except under the hood. That I'll do infrequently. I also brush and vacuum what I can reach in the engine bay, maybe every couple of years. No service department has sprayed lubricant all over the door hinges, so the whole hinge area is easy to keep clean too.

What I think is really important is to pay close attention to the inside of the wheel wells, in particular the rear. They tend to accumulate grit, and coupled with salt on winter roads, it's bad news for the fenders to not stay on it.

19. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Zaino polish is good stuff! I use their products on our cars too. They work much better than any wax in my experience.

20. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I do the door jambs and hatch area with every wash (Zaino Z-7). The hood area gets done twice a year when I apply polish (Z-2 w/ ZFX followed by Z-6). I wash with Dawn and clay the vehicles each spring before polish.

If temps are above 40, the vehicles are hand washed about monthly. During the winter, when temps are above 25, I'll run them through an automatic car wash on about the same schedule, plus a final wash with underbody flush after the salt is gone.

hybridbear likes this.