1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

When you're smiling...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by The Electric Me, May 31, 2010.

1. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I've discussed it before. I never use Smilies. I avoid most internet abreviations...I use a few. But in general, I think Smilies are pure evil. Okay, not pure evil, but I do think they represent a deteriation in our ability to communicate.

I know, that on the internet, in a post, sometimes sarcasm or some other subtle feeling can sometimes be difficult to convey. So it's tempting to simply add the animated picture to do the work for us.

But really? Breaking my own rule do we really need :cheer2: to communicate that we feel enthusiastic about something? :rolleyes:.

If so, how far from grunting and slobbering are we from entire animated paragraphs dancing their way to a new form of communication? ....I'm telling you Smilies are Double Plus Ungood.

Can I further upset people by pointing out my most unfavorite Smilie? I really HATE this one...:rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:.

It's practically a Heil Hitler...if not a Heil Mindless Self-Righteousness. Whenever you are sticking your hand in the air and mindlessly nodding yes to something....stop yourself.

This is a battle I'm going to lose. :nono: I know it. People love the Smilies. If Shakespeare were writing Romeo and Juliet on the internet, it would probably go:

"O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?:noidea:"

But I'm warning you it's going to get worse. They're cute now, but wait until they become indispensable. Wait until they start showing up in online obituaries.

"He was a good Father and Husband but now he's :rip:. He wouldn't want us to :Cry: today but instead :cheer2: the life he lived. "

:violin:It's time for me to end my :rant:....but I will never give up my hatred for the replacement of writing with animated symbols.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They can certainly be overdone, as you've just demonstrated :rolleyes:

I think of them as an enhancement, rather than a substitute. When something could be taken the wrong way, an emoticon helps. :nod:

2 people like this.
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm running Adblock (which also can block out graphics). I use it to block out all smilies from every board I'm on. If I'm curious about a smilie somebody uses, I hit "reply" (without actually replying) and that gives me the name of said smilie.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i like smiles, i wish my email had them, i'm stuck with :) or :-{)
    i like guessing exactly what people were thinking with their choice of emoticon.

5. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Then you probably have a real problem when it comes to Egyptian and Mayan writings Huh Bra...

Not to mention the different characters they have in far eastern writings...

Must sorta suck for you when you go to the museum or if you are considering traveling to Machu Picchu...

I am on the opposite side of the fence... I love the little animations and emoticons to express what limited thoughts are in the printed word.

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Life without :) ?

How :(

7. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

[​IMG]

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you move your hands and use facial expressions when talking? Doing this makes it a *lot* easier for people to understand your tone and intentions. Formal writing requires more words and structure to convey the same information.

When I write formally I am very formal. When I talk I am less formal, but more so than most. Internet posting is a form of informal communication. In this respect I don't mind smilies if they help explain the tone of a message. I don't care for them if they are used for mere eye candy (called "dancing bologna" in the web development world.)

Tom

9. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    edit: edit:

Smilie with an eraser...it's missing from the list

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    More 'less formal' than most? :D

See, if you'd used a smiley - pardon my netiquette; of course I meant to use the proper term, which is 'emoticon' - we'd know what you were talking about. :p

I didn't know you were a former writer. :rolleyes:

11. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :pound: Sorry, but you've just undermined your own argument. That's fabulous!

This is my feeling also. There is no tone of voice in the written word. A good author can convey it in descriptive passages. But in the kind of stuff we post on the internet, an emoticon can prevent misunderstanding.

And I have to say I loved Wildkow's dancing banana. I disagreed with most of what he said, and I was disgusted with many of his posts, but that dancing banana always made me smile, and made it impossible to hate him as I'd have liked to for the things he said.

12. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I noticed in Detroit that Tom was very formal when speaking to me.

I think he was afraid I'd turn him into a newt. ;)

1 person likes this.
  13. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    With a lot less annoyance.

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No I quite realize that other cultures and civilizations now and throughout history have used different symbols and forms to communicate. I don't really think it has anything to do with my dislike for Smilies. You're not suggesting that Egyptian Hieroglyphs were nothing more than smilies?

"I love the little animations and emoticons to express what limited thoughts are in the printed word"....and that is the problem. Smilies and Emoticons become the animated cartoon crutch we use when we can't express ourselves using the printed word. I say instead of de-evolving communication we strive to expand our mastery of the written word. When we can no longer express our observations, feelings and emotions using the printed word, and must rely on supplementary animated graphics to do it for us, something valuable has been lost.

No I don't think I've undermined my own argument, unless you actually believe the written works of Shakespeare should be presented using smilies and emoticons...I do not...

Well I knew this wasn't going to be a popular opinion. I think people get defensive because it hits them that "They Use Smilies". So when I rage against smilies or emoticons, people take it personal. I don't mean this as a personal attack against anyone. I said all along I knew this was a battle I couldn't win.

It's my observation or contention that what I've witnessed over the past few decades is a de-evolution. While an explosion in technology has given us unprecedented tools of communication, this has conversely led to diminishing skills of communication. We now text in staccato bursts of mini-statement. We post, or e-mail but are put out, or tired if someone takes more than a paragraph or two to explain something. We now embrace our own lack of communication skill by adding animated figures to explain what we mean or define our tone....just incase we got it wrong or to clarify.

Okay, harmless? Maybe most of the time. Certainly accepted. I do not have the high ground of popular opinion here and my own writing skills and communication skills are often very flawed. This is my opinion. Am I right? Am I wrong? Does it even matter? Only time will tell. However, if in the future at some unknown date, the epitaph of humanity needs to be written and all that is left to speak for our Atlantis is :rip::rapture: then perhaps could you think that I might be right?

15. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    De-evolution has been going on for as long as we have had frontal lobes and an older generation. History is full of words written by old farts like us bemoaning the failures of the younger generation and the end of civilization as we know it.

Tom

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Civilizations coalesce, grow, develop skills and technologies, then peak, and then become decadent. In the decadent phase, technologies continue to improve, but the majority of citizens decay in competence and lifestyle, and finally the civilization collapses. We are in the decadent phase. No surprise that communication skills have deteriorated.

But I still like that dancing banana. :rockon:

17. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm a very minimalist user of smile faces for a different reason. I want to learn how to communicate the nuances that some of the faces convey using just words. If you plan on writing a book, this is essential.

Here on PriusChat, I have discovered many possible ways a word, sentence, or concept can be misconstrued. So I keep trying to get better without going down the easy path.

Keep it up. There is a payoff. If you figure out how to convey sarcasm with just words and have no PCer misunderstand, let me know.

18. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    [SARCASM]....[/SARCASM]

Tom

1 person likes this.
  19. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    :mad:

20. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh like he couldn't have figured that out for himself.

(Like that, right, FL? Obvious sarcasm, no smilies needed. And no offense taken by Tom, 'because he knows I'm teasing. Still, it's tempting to toss a few in just to be sure. But I'm trying to prove a point here, without losing any friends, by practicing a little emoticon restraint. Even if they are all pretty much the same size.)