1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where are the older Prii? Any battery replacements?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mkaresh, Mar 14, 2007.

1. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

I've noticed that nearly everyone on this board owns the current generation Prius. Where are the owners of the first generation cars? I suppose they sold far fewer of those, but I'm still surprised that I rarely come across those owners here.

What got me thinking about this is all of the uninformed talk elsewhere about the cost of replacing battery packs. I see in this forum that that cost is about $2,400. But what I don't see is anyone saying they needed to replace a battery pack. Has anyone needed to? Some of those first-gen cars must be getting up in miles.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think a lot of the 1G Prius folks have had their cars so long that their interest in internet forums has waned a bit. Also there is a Prius Yahoo! group that's pretty active and was/is one of the original 1G Prius groups...they're still pretty active there I understand.

We do have a few 1G Prius folks here, but you're right, it's dominated by 2G people.

Finally, there've been a handful of batteries replaced in both 1G and 2G Prii. In the 1G they had a recall a year or so ago b/c of some corrosion on the battery cables/terminals and a few batteries had to be replaced in relation to that. But there certainly have been no wide-spread reports of batteries failing at 150k miles or anything. To the contrary several 1G vehicles are still running great with over 250k miles on them...and those batteries and the monitoring systems aren't as good as the 2G Prii.

3. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mkaresh @ Mar 14 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]405350[/snapback]</div>
    Over here.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mkaresh @ Mar 14 2007, 10:09 AM) [snapback]405350[/snapback]</div>
    We're working on it, but we're having a little trouble wearing out the batteries. That $2,400, that's for a brand new battery from the dealer?

4. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mkaresh @ Mar 14 2007, 11:09 AM) [snapback]405350[/snapback]</div>
    You got another one right here.

I guess that recall is why the battery in my car got replaced, except for the fact it was replaced 3 years ago in 2004. If that's when the recall was I'll say it was that then. It was before I purchased the car 6-7 months ago.

Bought the car with like 3xxxxx miles on it, I believe somewhere in the middle to upper, but I can't remember.

5. mkaresh

mkaresh Member

Sounds like few people have needed a new battery pack.

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My (now my wife's) 1G at < 50k miles is doing just fine. Hardly enough miles though to be truly concerned. Battery recall performed, but only required a resealing.

7. lauejp

lauejp New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mkaresh @ Mar 14 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]405350[/snapback]</div>
    I'm in the process of replacing the hv battery on my 2002 Prius with 119,000 miles on it. The dealer is asking $3700 for the battery installede, and Toyota is offering a $1500 toward the cost of the replacement or toward a new car purchase. I'm also looking at a used hv battery from a salvage firm that would cost around $1500 installed. I'm having a hard time making a decision on which was to go--anyone with any advise, please email me at: [email protected]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mkaresh @ Mar 14 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]405350[/snapback]</div>
    I'm in the process of replacing the hv battery on my 2002 Prius with 119,000 miles on it. The dealer is asking $3700 for the battery installede, and Toyota is offering a $1500 toward the cost of the replacement or toward a new car purchase. I'm also looking at a used hv battery from a salvage firm that would cost around $1500 installed. I'm having a hard time making a decision on which was to go--anyone with any advise, please email me at: [email protected]

8. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lauejp @ Apr 20 2007, 05:40 PM) [snapback]427004[/snapback]</div>
    Mind if I ask what prompted this decision?