1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where are the Prii?

Discussion in 'Local Clubs, Events, and Road Trips' started by wardplace, Apr 21, 2004.

1. wardplace

wardplace Junior Member

I'm not sure if this is the best forum for this post, but it seems close.

If Toyota has sent even 25% of their original expected US Prius production, 9000 Prii should be roaming around the US. Are they? Where are they? (BTW- Any ideas how many are on order across the US?)

I think it would be interesting if one of the many super computer wizards that post to this site would create an interactive map that we could put a "pin" in to mark our Prii home location. Unfortuately, I am a computer program user not a program writer or I'd do it.

As a "waiter" I hopefully will get to push a pin into the map when the dealer suggests I will. Of course if someone is inclined to create this map, one color pin could be for owners and another color for waiters.

j.

2. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I FINALLY saw my first "wild '04" today on the way home. Stopped at a gas station to clean my windows and as I was getting ready to leave, a tideland pearl 04 pulled out of the station just in front of me.

I got up beside him and waved, no response, got in front of him and waved, nothing. Finally got a sideways glace as a I pulled off on an exit a little ways down the road.

Ah well :)

3. bookrats

bookrats New Member

From what I've seen in a couple of the the older threads, it depends where you are. According to something in the paper I read today, the 4 biggest concentrations of hybrid cars are:
    • California
    • Washington State
    • Virginia
    • Florida

• Driving in Seattle, 30 miles each way on I-5, I'm now seeing about 4-8 distinct '04 Prii a day; I suspect I'd see even more if I looked more closely.

4. rflagg

rflagg Member

...And here in northern Virginia, I meet up with 5 +/- 2 on the way to and from work. I know of 3 others that live around my house as well.

-m.

5. paulisme

paulisme New Member

Counting mine, there are three in my city (population 50,000), and I've seen both the other two while driving around.

6. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like this map thing idea. Perhaps a more computer savy fellow Prius owner can figure out a way to use zipcodes as a locating tool. That way we could enter our zips in the profile and it would automatically post a pin on a US map which we could all reference.

7. Bill60546

Bill60546 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, and Canada too. Not to forget our friends up north who have been very helpful to new Prius owners regarding splash guards, waxing, etc.
    Am not sure how the alphanumeric zips would work though.

8. hedwig

hedwig New Member

I'm not so sure about the Florida thing. I drive mostly in Orlando, but also down south, Palm Beach area, quite a bit, and I have seen three myself here (five counting mine and the dealer's test drive model), heard of two other spottings, and one in Martin County (north of Palm Beach). It's still an event to spot one.

But maybe further south, or on the west coast - I don't get over there much....

9. Medved

Medved New Member

I've seen two in "the wild" here in Cleveland. One silver, and one Tideland (Greenish Gray??)

Boy I can't wait to get mine! Just a few more weeks. :)

10. sibtrag

sibtrag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    1) According to Toyota's Prius sales figures & a little math, we should be over 25,000 2004 models sold in the US so far. The total Prius sales reported since announcement is 23,612. That's up to the end of March and does include some 2003 models in the early months. With an estimated 2700 so far this month, that would easily pass 25,000 even allowing for over 1000 2003 models left over.

2) As far as geographic calculations based on ZIP codes, there are a few web sites which have such technology. The one I'm most familiar with is wheresgeorge.com which tracks US$ through around the world. In addition to calculating distances travelled, for well-travelled bills, they can provide a US map showing the cities it visited.

I expect that geocaching web sites may have similar technology.

Perhaps visiting one of them & poking around would reveal some explanations.

11. mossypete

mossypete New Member

They are here in the SF Bay Area.
    Yesterday I got a chance to park nose to nose with another Silver 04 Just like mine
    ( Except he has a better redefeat bush bumpersticker)

I see up to 4 on my nightly dog walk, and have given up counting all the classic priii is see in my neighborhood.

I still see one or two Honda EV's around form time to time.

Pete moss

Plugged in in Berkeley, CA

12. bigbaldcuban

bigbaldcuban New Member

I have seen 0 in the Wild in DFW I spend most of my time in the southern part of the Metroplex. I've heard of people seeing the in Plano and North Dallas but I have yet to see one in the wild

13. FloridaShark

FloridaShark Member

I've seen three in the wild here in Orlando.
    Black,Silver, and a Driftwood. Have also seen one
    2003. Seen all in the same area of town,the Conway
    and Tradeport areas.

14. wardplace

wardplace Junior Member

I wish I could figure out that quote thing...I'm not very saavy with this forum writing, having never done it prior to this site. But, Sibtrag responded with some numbers that sound pretty reasonable...25000 2004 in service to date.

Hopefully, that's right. We are #3 on the way to #2 on a tiny dealer's list. There may be enough left of this year's delivery to get ours this year.

Re: The geocaching sites. That is a good idea. We participate in that activity and they put the cache site on maps using gps coordinates. Does the Nav system in the Prius provide gps coordinates?

We had a sighting at the LV airport parking garage last night. White 2004. Passenger said it was a rental. We didn't have time to chat as the driver of the car behind us wanted us to get out of his way.

15. neppi

neppi New Member

I live in the Bay Area where there are lots of Priis. To give you some prospective during our 22 mile drive home we typically see 5-10 or so. My company now owns 40 2004s and another 10 or so 2002s.

Dave