1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where are the Prius-specific aftermarket wheels?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Conservatively Fiscal, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Conservatively Fiscal

Conservatively Fiscal Intellectual

I have only been able to find one wheel made specifically for Prius in the world. Is this accurate?

I have read and re-read the posts about wheels, and while there are some good possibilities, the only Prius-specific wheels seem to cost about 600USD imported and weigh over 10lbs each.

I am looking for some ultra low weight aerodynamically efficient wheels FOR MY CAR, and have a hard time believing they don't exist.

Is there just no market for Prius wheels? A 9-10lb 15"x5.5" racing-strength wheel should be well under 400USD including shipping.

2. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Diamondracingwheels.com

They will make you custom wheels 13" to 24.5" diameter and 4" to 48" in width. Pick your bolt pattern, offset, and finish. I'm not sure about price for custom wheels but their standard wheels are ~$65 to $150 each.

They very popular with the dirt track guys but also gaining ground in autocross. I found out about them back when they made wheels for our SAE Formula team. These are strong, light, STEEL wheels.

EDIT: A market for racing wheels for the Prius is nonexistent. How many Prius do you see on race tracks and autocross courses? True light-weight racing wheels are rare as it is. Most aftermarket wheels are about bling not weight reduction.

3. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi C.F...,

This probably makes sense as the Prius is only available with standard aluminum alloy wheels. So, there is not nearly as much after-market for aluminum wheels, except for forged variety. And the cost of forged wheels is a pretty steep entry level.

There are a variety of posts regarding after-market wheels on Prius Chat. Scan through the "Prius Modifications" section. But none are aero wheels. I think you may be looking for something like Honda Civic Hybrid wheels. But of course, the Honda bolt pattern is different.

4. Conservatively Fiscal

I was not clear enough, I am looking for fuel efficiency wheels. I dont care about style, or racing(with a Prius anyhow).

I have had good expirence with Diamond Racing Wheels, I had a set of 13"ers for a BMW at one time. Good value, but not for a Prius street car, non-hubcentric, poor paint, ect...

So I have decided there is no AFTERMARKET fuel efficiency wheel for Prius, the real question: is there a MARKET for a extremely lightweight, aerodynamically efficient wheel for our supereconomy car?

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota make some, they are fitted to the car when new.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Volk Racing wheel is an eco. wheel built specifically for the Prius. It's a high end wheel, and therefore not cheap. It's available in 15" and 16" sizes.
    weight comparison
    Volk Racing ce28 ecodrive wheels
    15 inch: 10.1 lbs
    16 inch: 10.8 lbs

Prius factory wheels
    15 inch 14.3 lbs
    16 inch 15.2 lbs

5X100 mm holes
    45 mm offset
    6jj rim size

Wheels lighter than 10 lbs are not "streetable". They are too easily destroyed. You can use them, but you have a very good chance of breaking them.

7. Conservatively Fiscal

The problem I have with the Volk/Rays Engineering wheels is that a fully forged wheel in that size should weigh 1 or 2 lbs less, especially for nearly 600USD imported. They make the wheel for many applications, and just adapted it for Prius.

If I had a fully forged economy wheel made FOR Prius', 9-10lbs, aerodynamically efficient, in the 350USD area who would be interested? I am interested for sure, but are there enough ppl out there? I cant believe there are no options already.

8. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i had the same problems. i opted to go with the factory, TOYOTA TOURING wheels.

sure, it's not a 18 or 19 inch wheel, but it looks better than the ordinary ones. i did take a hit on mileage though. whatever you do, do not use the scion TC wheels. they're two tons of fun and turns your car into a gas hog.

9. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The Volk wheels were developed FOR the Prius in Japan. They were done for mileage fanatics. In fact, in their catalogue they state that they are NOT for other applications.

As for the cost, you get what you pay for. Volk wheels are well known as very reliable and strong, as well as being well made. I suspect if they were imported in greater quantities the cost would become more acceptable. Right now the only importers are not distributors, they are retail sales outfits. That bumps the cost up considerably.

But if you can come up with equivalents at lower cost, that would be nice.

10. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  11. Conservatively Fiscal

These are very nice wheels, price aside. The catalogue also says though that they have steel centering rings, which would indicate that the hub size is larger than Prius, for the Civic I think has a larger hub, and they list them for the Civic too. They also look very much like some other wheels they sell (may be different, I can tell). Anyways, they are a excellent manufacturer, and I trust the product is great. 600USD is terrible though, they should cost about 400.

I am looking for a fuel efficiency wheel, 15"x 5.5" or 6", as light as is reliable, and aerodynamically efficient, designed FOR the Prius, not a racing wheel that can be adapted to any car using spacers and hubcentric rings.

Working on that. Would they sell?

12. Conservatively Fiscal

13. akandodelsin

akandodelsin New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    There are various brands that you can choose from depending on the kind that you are comfortable and that which suits the car. Check out:www clicktire com . They have a great range of tires and wheels and I’m sure you will find the right ones to suit your needs.

14. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've come to an understanding with the following:

Strong, Light, Cheap. Pick two.

15. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^
    That is my understanding as well. You gotta pay to play, unfortunately.

16. Gen2_Accel

Gen2_Accel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Stock Al wheels are *light*; I can't imagine aftermarket wheels being any lighter. Try a bigger tire maybe...?