1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where are your antennas mounted???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Chachabah16, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Chachabah16

Chachabah16 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Folks,

Answers to this question have been posted in many different threads. I have read most, if not all threads relating to the Rosen Head Unit on this site. Thanks to everyone for the time and effort they put in helping to educate others. A special thanks to Ragz, who has referred me to an installer on Long Island. I will be getting the unit installed on Saturday, as I am utterly incapable of doing it myself :(

As such, I would like to get as many answers to this question in one place as possible.

For folks that have a Rosen HU installed, (or another aftermarket unit for that matter), where to you have your antennas (sat & nav) mounted?

What kind of reception do you get?

Ideally I would like to put my sat. antenna on the back of the roof, behind the shark fin, and I would like the nav antenna under the dash, or on top of the Rosen behind the dash.

I would love to hear what people have done, and what the results have been!

Thanks in advance,

C ~

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nav antenna is on the dash, centered left to right, forward until it touches the windshield. It is mounted on the metal backplane that was supplied by Rosen. Reception is excellent. It locks onto sats nearly instantly. With the Prius windshields steep slope it has a good view of the sky. I was able to shove the antenna cable out of sight between the windshield gasket and dash. The cable runs to the right then down under the dash over at the right side of the dash.

Signal indication is a whole bunch of bars at high strength. If I drive into my garage with concrete tile rood, aluminum foil backed roof sheathing, aluminum garage door and chicken wire in the stucco walls it will usually hang onto enough sats to maintain my location. Sometimes it will eventually lock onto sats when I turn it on in the garage.