1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where can I buy an after market battery pack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Luke101, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Luke101

Luke101 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The prius stock battery is weak compared to my wifes Mercury Mariner battery. The Mariner acceleration on battery alone is excellent - she can get up to 30 mph in no time on just the battery. In my prius it has very slow acceleration at a dead stop while running only on battery. Is it possible to buy aftermarket (stronger) batteries for the prius so I can at least driver the car up to 30 mph only on battery?

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Another battery will not improve the acceleration of the Prius in fact it will probably slow it down due to it's wieght, as it is not the main factor. The limiting factor is the maximum output of the HV inverter that I believe is 25KW "don't quote me" MG2 is rated at 50KW. The inverter converts the nominal 201v dc to 500ac 3phase variable frequency to drive the motor.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Simple answer, no. You could either ocnsider a 2012 Plug-in Prius or do a conversion to yours to Plug-in and get brisk all EV acceleration.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Luke. Do you have the EV button (EV mod) in your Prius? Without this you have to accelerate very gingerly in order to keep it in electric mode. Is this the slow acceleration you are referring to?

With the EV mod the Prius can accelerate moderately well up to about 30 mph on electric alone, however it is almost always undesirable (from a fuel efficiency perspective) to do so.

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Mariner may be able to accelerate to 30 on batt alone but, it is nowhere near the mpg king the Prius is. My advice is, go ahead and accelerate to 30 as fast/robust as you want, use the engine. You'll still beat the Mariner by at least 10 mpg's (easily). With some proper hypermiling, you can beat it by 20.