1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where can I find an external rolling shade for my house?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Danny, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    While planning out window treatments for our house, we've decided to go with one of those rolling shades that you put outside the window for one of our picture windows. They use them a lot in Europe and are starting to become popular for energy efficiency here in the US.

I just can't seem to find them ANYWHERE. Does anyone have any ideas on where to look? They should be available with remote controls or interior pull cords.

Any ideas?

2. snijd

snijd DIY or die

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here's a list of links, mostly in the USA. We really liked having them on our house in Germany, but sometimes villages seemed downright spooky at night, when everyone rolled down their rolladen!

3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you looking for roll shutters for security or privacy, or roll awnings to adjust shade on the outside of the window.

Do a search for "hurricane shutters" for the former, and "roll up awnings" for the latter.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We're just looking for something for privacy at night. We are going to do roman shades throughout the rest of the house, but this one window's placement doesn't allow us to do it. So I thought it might be cool to do an external rolling shade. No direct sun gets in that side of the house, so it's not really even an "eco" reason.