1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where can I get clear mask for Prius in San Diego?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sunnysandiegan, Feb 8, 2006.

1. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

Hi! I want to purchase a clear mask for our 2006 Prius and our yellow pages phone book is MIA. I've been searching online, but am only finding the kits you can buy and install yourself. Okay, I have those bookmarked, but now I want some professional quotes. I googled 'San Diego auto paint' and have thousands and thousands of body shops up in another window.

Does anyone live in the San Diego area and have a clear mask installed locally? Would you recommend the place you used?

Any other tips on getting a quote and having someone install a clear mask?

Thanks!
    Karin

2. sunnysandiegan

Anyone ANYWHERE in the U.S. have one of these? I have called a dozen or so places (including 3 Toyota dealers and 2 Toyota collision centers and a handful of body shops) and no one seems to know what the heck I am talking about...

Am I off-base on WHO to contact for this product and installation???

3. sunnysandiegan

Just in case someone else needs this information at some point, I'll post what I discovered in all my phone calls today.

This is considered to be a very labor-intensive process and not many places do it here in San Diego. I called AT LEAST 15 places. That is how many I have notes on. I called more and didn't bother writing down that they didn't do it.

I found one dealer and one specialty place that do this on fairly regular basis. The specialty place does work in the area for other dealers and they want $825 for the clear mask in front (bumper, headlights, side mirrors, partial hood) and the rear bumper "applique" (top of rear bumper only). They offer a $25 car rental, if you need a ride anywhere because it takes all day and they don't give rides.

The dealer charges $597 for the same items and work and they will give me a ride home after I drop off the car in the morning. It'll be there all day and I am responsible for getting back there to pick it up, but they might be able to pick me up since I live pretty close if they have someone available.

I also talked to a guy who does window tinting. He used to do these clear mask installations and he used to train people to install them. He doesn't do them much anymore due to the long hours to do one car.