1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Where can I look up brake system blink codes?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by OneSeventeen, Jan 14, 2024.

Tags:
  1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2008 Prius with over 250,000 miles started showing all of the brake system lights at once suddenly last week, so I stopped driving it and looked up how to run a diagnostic since Dr Prius and my VeePeak don't seem to read brake system codes.

I went with the "count the blinks" method and got:
    ((!)) 415769
    ABS: 42
    VSC: 45
    Tire Pressure: 2122232479

I'm not sure where to go to look these up, is there an official chart somewhere that is publicly available? If not, is it available with a 2-day subscription to TIS (which I've never used)?

Biggest question:
    If I already know I'm not willing to do any work that requires Techstream, should I even bother self-diagnosing?

Thanks in advance, I'm new to more advanced work on these, and while I was fine replacing the capacitor on the combination meter, I am not fine working on the system that stops me from running into other cars.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes you are this is a stupid easy repair actually If you own some tools 10 12 mm sockets The flare ranches that would undo the 10 mm brake lines a long set of angled needle nose is nice to have a couple of small c-clamps I mean like oh I don't know they're one or two inch small job is get three of them they cost $1.29 or something at home Depot they're invaluable for this job and I do believe that is it we'll need to know where the orange service plug is for the HV battery remove the trunk liner and it's right there You don't have to disassemble anything in the back and you will need a t50 torx or it might be t40 torques or your channel lock slip joint pliers to take the torques screw out of the front of the inverter lid and then the rest is tens You're going to be undoing the inverter which is very easy and setting it to the side a little bit so you can get the bracket and the brake actuator out this is like a $1,470 part need to buy it online and have it sent to the store Don't walk into the parts department unless you got a Barney Fife employee at the parts department that would give it to you for $700 or something.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Do you have the constant beep yet You have the exclamation point in the circle The ABS and the VSC Amber lights are all on and the b r a k e in red are all lit up forever they don't ever go off You're driving with the Christmas tree sometimes when you hit the brakes do you ever get the constant beep? It will go away generally after anywhere from 10 to 40 seconds first time it happened it'll be real nerve-wracking while the beep is happening you have breaks of a $64 Dodge truck 4 wheel drum brake vehicle without a brake booster it'll stop fine but the distance will probably scare you the first time. The minute the beep goes away you have four-wheeled disc power brakes without ABS but your regen and all is working fine. I've got a car I'm driving like this right now finding a used brake actuator is tricky but I drive the car everyday no issues.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some of the more common ones are recap'd on the same page you were (I hope) looking at to get the blink codes in the first place—this one: Blink (a/k/a Flash) Codes – How to. | PriusChat

So right there on that page, you see that your ABS 42 and VSC 45 both just mean "look at the ((!)) codes", and the 41 code on ((!)) is DTC C1241, which "means a problem with the voltage arriving at the brake system's electrical connections. The problem can be anywhere along the wiring path bringing power there, but it wouldn't be crazy to start by checking the 12 volt battery. If no glaring problem there, then the repair manual has the rest of the troubleshooting steps."

Your 57 and 69 are not as common so you don't find them on that wiki page; they'll just be in the repair manual where they all are. That wiki page explains an effective way to search, and links to the page with info on many ways of getting repair manual access.

57 is the DTC C1256 about low accumulator pressure, and 69 is the DTC C1391 about a leaking accumulator. Both of those point to the repair Tombukt2 was talking about.

The blink-codes wiki page doesn't have any of the TPMS codes; just gotta look those up in the repair manual. 21, 22, 23, and 24 are just "no signal from transmitter ID x" for all four of the transmitters ... not a big surprise in an 18-year-old car. I can't find a 79 in the copy of the manual I'm looking in. Are you sure you counted that one right?

Tombukt2 likes this.